It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 15:01 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Decisions, decisions...

Advice needed...

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Advice needed...

Postby monicastefanescu » Tue 1 Dec 2009 17:27 GMT

Hello,
I am new to this forum (I hope I placed the question in the right place) and I hope that I will get some suggestions/ideas on the best way to handle my situation. I will try to be as brief as possible.

I am a Canadian citizen (immigrated to Canada from Romania in 1994, got my Canadian citizenship in Jan 1998) living in USA since fall 1998. I am considering moving back to Canada (probably Toronto or Calgary) since I lost my job here a while back and my husband filled for a divorce (he is a greencard holder with a steady job in the USA). I am not a greencard holder and staying in the USA is not an option for me at this point (getting a TN1 visa these days is very-very hard).

I am looking for some advice on what steps I need to take in order to make my relocation to Canada a little bit easier since I am being considered a non-resident at this point. Most likely I will not be able to have more than $4000 US dollars with me until the divorce is final and our house is sold. I already started to look for a job in Toronto and Calgary (I am in the IT industry and these 2 towns seem to be my best bet as of now), but the job search is not going as good as I would like it to. I paid all the taxes on my income to the USA since I worked and lived here for the past 11 years. I am not sure what I need to do in order to get health insurance and other benefits once I relocate to Canada (in case I will not find a job and will run out of money until the divorce is final, I may need to apply for welfare-I really hope I will not get there, but I want to prepare myself mentally for the worse case scenario). Are there any other things I need to consider and be prepared for?

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions!
Monica
Posted by:
monicastefanescu

Postby Kay » Tue 1 Dec 2009 18:06 GMT

Hi Monica

Welcome to the British Expat forum. Hmmm, that's a pretty horrible situation you find yourself in. I hope someone will be able to give you some guidance so you can move forward on the situation.

(We can leave your posting here for now, but when you start to formulate more specific questions about immigration, work, etc, etc, then please post on the appropriate boards.)

Good luck!

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Decisions, decisions...