It is currently Fri 23 Aug 2019 19:59 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines

exit and re-entry

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to Canada.

exit and re-entry

Postby LindaandJohn » Sun 13 Jul 2014 21:39 GMT

Hi another question about spousal sponsorship
I am the sponsor...my partner and i have not been able to live permanently together because he is from the UK and i am Canadian. He is retired and so will not be working in Canada. We are wading through all the paper work and with help from this forum hopefully will be sending it soon.. the problem we have is that he will be going back home in September and will want to be returning with in a month, we don't want him turned away at the airport .. if he has his application in they should be able to look it up on the computer....is there anything else he would require to be allowed back into Canada. last time in they detained him and told him he had to apply for residency there is a slip in his passport to say this
thanks for your response
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
LindaandJohn
Free member

Postby Graeme » Mon 14 Jul 2014 00:43 GMT

They can look it up, but will they? They can be sticklers (jobsworths) at the border. He may need some other proof of application for PR status, such as an affidavit that he has submitted to Immigration Canada and is awaiting their response. If he isn't going to work does he have funds to support himself and to cover his health care costs (most of the dollars spent in health care are spent on retirees) does he have proof of that too. If his passport has been flagged and he can't show significant progress along the permanent residence route he may well end up being denied until the PR has been concluded. Also as an aside if he does get PR does he know he then has to leave Canada to apply from abroad to re-enter?
This is just my opinion and should not be construed as legal advice!
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby LindaandJohn » Tue 15 Jul 2014 12:47 GMT

thank you for the information. we did not know that he would have to leave Canada and apply to re enter... so .. he has to apply to our government to re enter Canada with a PR number ??would he have to leave immediately upon receiving the card or do they give you a date...... very confusing we thought the PR card would allow him to enter and re enter when he wished...(or needed) to is that not true thanks again
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
LindaandJohn
Free member

Postby Graeme » Tue 15 Jul 2014 14:03 GMT

Usually, once you are granted PR status, you are supposed to leave the country and seek entry again as a PR I don't think there was a time limit on this but the residency requirements suggest within a year or so would be helpful This can be done through many ports of entry and is usually just a formality. I'm not sure why they do this it seems archaic and silly and I heard there is a move afoot to change it. there are constant changes to the Immigration Act, not least is the Foreign workers in low paid positions which occurred last week so check, things might have changed by the time he gets the PR. Once he has the PR he's as free to come and go as any Canadian. Your biggest issue may be that as a non contributing retired person he may have issue with the medical requirements?
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby LindaandJohn » Tue 15 Jul 2014 22:20 GMT

thank you so much... this is like a maze of silly stuff to wade through....i am not sure if he can get medical insurance here with out the card.. his plans were actually to fly home several times a year to see his children, family and friends.. while there he gets enough of his medications to last till the next trip... in actual fact he is only here because of me. and would have been perfectly happy just going back and forth ...but at the boarder this time they told him he had to apply so here we are.. I did phone immigration a year ago asking about visa's but they said that it is not a matter of not issuing one to him it is that they simply don't issue them because he is allowed to be in the country.... i took that to mean visitors visa as i know you still need a work visa to be here.. is that correct or could he have been on a visitors visa which he could then apply to extend or .. not
Posted by:
LindaandJohn
Free member

Postby Graeme » Wed 16 Jul 2014 04:01 GMT

As a UK subject he can be a visitor in Canada for up to a total of 6 months in a calendar year, he would just need to show proof of funds and a return ticket at the border to show he wasn't staying forever. If 6 months a year is all you guys need to be together then go with that. He would need to get UK insurance to cover him during his vacation time here. It may be that coming out for two or three visits of 2 to 3 months at a time could work for you in which case he wouldn't need a PR. If however you want to be together longer than 6 months in a year then you will need to seek the PR route.
Again, I'm not a lawyer or an immigration consultant, just an interested person with an opinion :D
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby LindaandJohn » Fri 25 Jul 2014 19:10 GMT

putting the final stuff together now but ran into a couple of questions i am not too sure on
the check list asks for an indication of status in Canada.. like a visitor visa study permit or work permit ... what can i send he is a visitor right now but does not require a permit as he is allowed in our country, as i was told by immigration.
Also I have the option C printout from the government .. it also asks for T4's as well as any other T statements from your taxes.. so my question is can i send an original or do i have to get that from revenue Canada as well ( I do have two copies of my T slips because taxes are all sent online now)
thanks so much
Posted by:
LindaandJohn
Free member

Postby LindaandJohn » Fri 25 Jul 2014 19:18 GMT

Sorry just one more... when i downloaded the forms at Service Canada two of the forms said i could submit them electronically .....does that confuse things as the paper work wont be with the forms.. then i send the whole package along....does sending them first speed it up any or is it just as good to send it all in one package... do we get some sort of number to use at the airport by electronically sending .. or a number with receipt for the fees you pay ... confused my self there lol thanks
Posted by:
LindaandJohn
Free member

Postby Graeme » Fri 25 Jul 2014 19:21 GMT

I'd suggest it is asking for his entry status which would be visitor visa. The T4's can be send as copies, I don't think they have to be notarized as they will already be on file as an electronic submission anyhow. If you feel concerned then send one of the original copies, usually a good quality photocopy will be sufficient.
Again, I'm not a lawyer and I always encourage people to seek legal advice.....
Best of luck
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby LindaandJohn » Sat 26 Jul 2014 00:11 GMT

thanks very much for getting back to me... the last one i figured out actually lol as the government does not have those t slips anyways it is all sent electronically now so no worries there.... i will have to send it minus the proof of status.. as they told me they did not issue visitors visa to UK citizens as they are allowed to be here so am hoping that is good enough...
thanks again for all of your patient help those forms can be quite unsettling and even tho we live in a larger area there is no one here who can help you go through it so thank you again ;o)
Posted by:
LindaandJohn
Free member

Return to Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines