It is currently Mon 27 May 2019 06:07 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Iceland – Quick Quiz
    For such a small nation, Iceland has a lot of superlatives. How much do you know about this intriguing country on the north-western edge of Europe?

Pacific Islands

Crime in Fiji

Crime in Fiji

Postby minefield » Fri 5 Sep 2008 02:57 GMT

I intend to shift to Fiji ,Lotuaka, to retire.
There is one thing that bothers me and I hope someone can help.????
I have been looking at property's in both Nandi and lotuaka and they all have high fences and security gates, I have looked at other pacific Islands and Fiji is the only country that the residents cage them selves up at least that what it seems.
IF, Fiji is not safe and there is a lot of crime I feel it's better to know now than when I get there, Having 6ft wire fences around my property would take away the ambience of living there :? [/u]
Posted by:
minefield

Postby pmforster » Sat 22 Nov 2008 07:42 GMT

You probably mean Lautoka. I lived in Suva for 4 years in a place without big fences and got burgled 3 times in the first year. Then I employed a Fijian gardener and house girl and wasn't burgled again. If you are white you will need some sort of security.

Peter F
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Crime in Fiji

Postby JS » Thu 1 Jan 2009 03:35 GMT

Bula,

I live now near 10 years in Fiji and I am reviewing if I would like to stay longer in this country.

Have to tell you that I got robbed in August 2008 and again 27. December 2008, this are only the last 2 cases !!

If you see this Hopeless, Useless, Unorganized and Lazy (corrupt ??) police force in this country I have to advise you, to think twice before you make a decision to move to Fiji.

Also I am working in the travel industry, I have to advice all my incomming tourist to be very cautious. If you see the papers and also hear the news, there is an significant increase in crime of all kind, robbery, breakins, rape etc.

I am here as an investor, develop a new resort and help some indigenous Fijian, but our company will review also in the next weeks what steps we will taken.

At the moment I can't support "Fiji is a safe destination" Sorry
Posted by:
JS

Postby Graeme » Fri 11 Mar 2011 23:52 GMT

I'm heading to Fiji this next week and will try to update this area, I will be chatting with the police force as I have a couple of contacts there. I understand that there are some changes which have taken place in the police force and they are attempting to raise their state of play somewhat.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 12 Mar 2011 18:13 GMT

That would be fantastic if you could report back, Graeme.

Have a good and safe trip to Fiji!
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Tue 29 Mar 2011 15:33 GMT

As mentioned before Fiji is overall a safe place, but if you are white and live in a nice or big house, you'd better have a big fence and perhaps a couple of Fijian household workers. Petty crime such as theft and break and enter is fairly rife in the large centers, there are street con guys and beggars abound. Part of the problem is that Fiji has a high class and a low class but really no middle class other than the Indian shopkeepers. I think this disparity creates some problems and the lower class indigents turn to booze (grog) and drugs and to feed those habits they need to acquire money somewhere.
The police force is undergoing some changes and it's too early to tell if the changes will be useful, they should be but it will take some time for the changes to have a full effect. The police force was corrupt and certainly needed a change, hopefully it's moving in the right direction now although the opportunities for corruption are still there. If you would like more information please feel free to ask.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 30 Mar 2011 05:08 GMT

Graeme, many thanks for this. It's great to have up to date info on the place.

I know what you mean about needing to hire locals. In many countries just the fact that you have local people working for you can be a big deterrent to would-be thieves.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Pacific Islands