It is currently Wed 19 Jun 2019 08:40 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Angola

New to this - not sure what to expat in Angola

New to this - not sure what to expat in Angola

Postby Scratchgolfer76 » Thu 15 Sep 2011 21:07 GMT

Hi All,

Total newby here....hoping someone can help....? Never been expat and looking at possibly starting if job offer right...!

What might be a reasonable salary for a Brit moving to Luanda, if housing, and driver is paid for....? Should i push for food expenses too...? Can someone give us a GB salary range and cover costs in £'s if possible please..?

I maybe moving with a leading oil company, not sure what to expect...any idea's of what i may need to fill suitcases with :) i have read deodrant, toothpaste, pasta etc...?

I'm mid 30's, male, single and wondering what life may be like for me - - - night life good, social life reasonable, chance of meeting any single female expats etc...?

Oh and how expensive is golf...if there is any....? :lol: Or should i just pack my clubs into gargage in Aberdeen and leave them for 3 - 5 years...?
Posted by:
Scratchgolfer76

Re: New to this - not sure what to expat in Angola

Postby Globalgypsy » Tue 20 Sep 2011 08:29 GMT

Thought I should reply as you haven't had any other joy as yet.

Yes push for additional to cover the cost of food if possible - but the company being a large company already based here they will have a standard markup already included. Would be difficult to get them to negotiate.

As an Idea we burn through about 400-600 USD a week on food and maybe a restaurant or two. That is with a stock of supplies we have brought in.

What we bring in is those small items that you enjoy. Like a particular sweet, brand of salmon etc. Anything to buffer the poor supplies (no choice) and even poorer quality (sat in the sun for weeks in the harbour, thrown from the delivery truck etc).

Don't sweat too much though on what to bring first time. You will develop the import list as you fly in and out.

Salary? Well how long is a piece of string? I cannot answer that. Get as much as you can because you will burn $$'s here. If not in country then just getting out for a respite from the place.

If you can try for a reccy trip. That will give you an idea of what to expect and what to bring in for your accommodation. Some oil companies do this for the residential employees.

Social scene? Normally very good among your expat co-workers. Don't worry they will lead you astray :lol:

Golf?....there is a golf course on the southern edge of town but don't bring your good clubs. Very rough and not what I would call a course. However there is a new course opened up about 2hrs south
on the banks of the Kwansa River. That is a world standard course (so I'm told). 9 holes open so far and the back 9 ready to open soon. Membership I think is about $5k per year with a $2.5k joining fee. Don't know how this course will go as it may get crowded and 2hr journey is a long way to go to find the course teeming with people.

Only thing I would suggest is write in as many out of country trips as possible into your contract. You will need them for your sanity and health.
Posted by:
Globalgypsy

Postby Scratchgolfer76 » Tue 20 Sep 2011 16:41 GMT

Hi Glopbalgypsy,

Thanks for taking the time to write a reply...Some useful information there i hope...!

The ex-pat network and social life, what would that be like....i've yet to speak in detail to the company about stuff, but do hear rumours that working hours are long and 6 day's a week....would this be right if working for one of the major oil companies....?

I was hoping it would be more like 08:00 to 16:00, and then spend some time in the sun, swimming, playing tennis (cause golf may well be out hte window lol)....with weekends off, and some party time....?!?

Thanks and Regards,

SG
Posted by:
Scratchgolfer76

Postby Globalgypsy » Wed 21 Sep 2011 06:49 GMT

Social life of an expat is different to the norm. As a group you are the strangers in a country and there is a tighter sense of community. One tends to help out others far more than when at home - especially in a social sense. People explore new places and share the findings/ experiences. For some it can be claustrophobic. Personally I enjoy meeting the characters that make up the expat community - most people have had amazing lives!

The social calendar does get very busy if you want that. I think we have something on each night this week.

Work hours - expect to be doing more than normal. Not that it is demanded but I find people are more focussed on their work. It is not a normal 9-5 job, the work comes with you back to the accom simply because you are still in country and still under the company umbrella.

However that is not a negative because you have less need to do more outside of work. No house/ gardens to maintain, no car to work on, no where to take an easy drive to etc. It is a totally different lifestyle. Life is simpler and yet more complex.......

6 days a week? Depends, if rotation then 7days 12 hours is the norm. If residential, no 5 days and longer working days. However the clockin/ clockout mentality generally doesn't occur in the expat working life. Working hours would depend on operations (if your job role is influenced by operations). I guess being an expat working OS carries more responsibilities to get the job done - it is no where as easy as sitting in the UK!

Lol the doing other things. Depends on where you would be based, tennis can be expensive (Tropico hotel costs $50 USD per hour to hire the court) or there is the tennis club which is quite busy and hard to get courts. Many compounds do have courts (if you are lucky enough to get a compound). Same with swimming, some compounds have usable pools and others have dinky dip pools not useful to swim in.

Beach swimming is kind off out due to the horrendous pollution. Massulo there is some swimming (away from the power boats and jet skis) and you can swim at Cabo Ledo 2.5hrs south. I gave up swimming at the Ilha at new years when I encountered latex gloves and medical swabs (among the other debris) floating in the water when I surfaced.

I guess the bottom line is don't expect a short working day and loads of play time. The work is long and challenging, but can be very rewarding with difficulties you could never imagine!

There are plenty of parties and mates just getting together and BBQing.

GG
Posted by:
Globalgypsy

Postby Kay » Fri 23 Sep 2011 15:00 GMT

Thanks, GG. You're making some really excellent postings. We could be doing with a few more like you around on here.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Globalgypsy » Mon 26 Sep 2011 06:54 GMT

No probs Kay - Anyone thinking of coming to Angola needs all the help they can and up to date information. This place changes rapidly! :hide:
Posted by:
Globalgypsy

Postby Mansie » Wed 30 Jul 2014 14:05 GMT

Hi Folks,
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would just tag onto the back of this one.

I'm heading out to Luanda to start a 12 / 3 rotation on Tuesday and was wondering if there was much in the way of change since the last posts here.

Ive been told I have a flat and will get the company car and driver for transport. I have been given a daily allowance for food etc so I am relatively confident that it shouldnt actually cost me too much to live there providing I am not eating out or partying every night.

Similar to Scratch this will be the first time I have embarked on an expat job so I am filled with a mix of nerves and excitement at the potential this move holds for me.

Many Thanks,
Mansie
Posted by:
Mansie

Return to Angola