It is currently Mon 14 Oct 2019 20:07 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

West Coast

Anyone live in San Francisco?

This is the forum for all your West Coast quips and questions.

Anyone live in San Francisco?

Postby clh213 » Sun 2 Sep 2012 15:10 GMT

Hi all,

My husband and I will be moving the the States shortly, and would be grateful for any advice. He is being sponsered by his company and we already have secured visas for up to one year (His is a business visa, mine a tourist one). His company would like to locate us on the West Coast, probably California and we are currently looking at San Francisco and the surrounding area. We have no children, so do not need information about schools, we are both in our mid twenties, and only need to have good transport ljnks and internet connections for my husband to work.

Please please any advice you could give us on housing/areas to live and cost or any practicalities like health insurance and stuff would be amazing. We have so much to find out and are a bit swamped by all the information.

Thanks so much :)
Posted by:
clh213

Postby Kay » Mon 3 Sep 2012 19:17 GMT

Hi! Welcome to our forum and good luck with your move! I'm not sure we have a lot of members where you're planning to move but you never know... maybe someone will come along to help.

Don't get swamped by all the things you need to do. Just take it one chunk at a time. It's possible. Lots of us have been in the same boat and felt overwhelmed by it but we've all got there eventually. 8-)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon 3 Sep 2012 23:13 GMT

Huge question there clh213, You can get insurance from the UK, but you need to check if the employer provides a package, if so how much do they cover and do you need to supplement it. Anywhere in San Fran will have good internet, transport etc it depends where you want to live and how much you want to spend. Anything is available in the USA for a price. As Kay says, take it one step at a time and it will be a little easier.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to West Coast