It is currently Fri 22 Mar 2019 22:05 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

Health issues

Healthcare & private cover???

Post here about healthcare in Australia. (NB - postings about visa-related medical issues belong on the "Visas/medicals" forum.)

Healthcare & private cover???

Postby AnnieM » Mon 23 Apr 2007 11:20 GMT

Hi
We're planning on moving to Sydney next year (depending on whether we get our visa approved) we have a couple of queries regarding Medicare and whats covered, mainly for our parents who would like to join us at a later date.

They are both in their late 60s and currently get free prescriptions etc from the NHS, what would happen in Oz? would they be covered by Medicare or if they took out their own health insurance, would they be covered for regular prescriptions. i.e. tablets for blood pressure.

Thanks for your help.
:roll:
Posted by:
AnnieM

Postby Jany » Fri 23 Dec 2011 18:23 GMT

I have not dealt with prescription meds being covered I just know that pre existing conditions are usually not covered once you move over there. I could be wrong for people in a certain age range though. I would probably go the private health insurance route. However, it is probably prudent to exhaust all the possibilities of getting it covered by medicare. good luck :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Jany
Free member

Return to Health issues