It is currently Mon 27 May 2019 06:16 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Iceland – Quick Quiz
    For such a small nation, Iceland has a lot of superlatives. How much do you know about this intriguing country on the north-western edge of Europe?

Health issues

Medicare for temporary residents

Post here about healthcare in Australia. (NB - postings about visa-related medical issues belong on the "Visas/medicals" forum.)

Medicare for temporary residents

Postby kiwiruss » Tue 26 Jun 2007 11:21 GMT

Hi, I've not posted for ages, I used to live in NZ (hence the nickname!) but have recently arrived in Melbourne

I realise that an earlier post has partly covered this topic, but..
I have a 457 temporary work visa and have just received my Medicare card which appears to limit me to "immediately necessary" treatment under the reciprocal agreement. Does anyone know exactly what this entitles me to?

Also, to digress slightly, I just paid $60 for annual ambulance cover in Victoria, a colleague at work told me it cost up to $1000 for a trip to hospital. The system here seems more like America than Britain :(

Another colleague told me that as I earn more than $50k I can save on tax by taking out private health insurance. Does anyone have experience of this?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kiwiruss
Free member

Postby SSue » Fri 29 Jun 2007 01:41 GMT

Hi Russ,

my Medicare card which appears to limit me to "immediately necessary" treatment

You are covered for treatment of any sudden illness/accident, but not for any diagnosed pre existing condition/illness. This visa limits your entitlements, and should have been explained fully. You can look up exactly what you are allowed on the DIC website: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

The government has dangled the carrot, with tax relief, so more people with higher incomes, will take out private health cover, leaving public hospitals for lower income families.

The ambulance service has always charged for its services here. It costs a fortune to train these paramedics, and in time of need, I'd be happy to pay for their service, which saves countless lives.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby kiwiruss » Sat 30 Jun 2007 02:50 GMT

Hi SSue
Thanks for the information, I agree with you about the ambulance service and have no objection to paying the fee. I think private health insurance covers it? Someone at work tried to explain the tax benefits of joining a private health scheme but i find taxation an extremely dull subject so didn't really take it in

I think I'll stick with the Medicare coverage for 11 months, then if I get PR next year I'll review the situation and work out the savings in tax vs costs of insurance
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kiwiruss
Free member

Postby tamar » Wed 9 Feb 2011 07:33 GMT

Hi SSue,

I would like to have some info about temporary medical insurance for my grandpa. He is about 66 years old and planning to move to Australia. What kind of MIs will be covered and which plan will be beneficial for a small time period? I have searched on other forums too but did not get any satisfactory answer. Thanks in advance.

Postby Jany » Fri 23 Dec 2011 18:03 GMT

Thank you for the information here. It sounds like their program is similar to what temporary residents are given in Britain. It is nice to know you get some coverage there.
Posted by:
Jany
Free member

Return to Health issues