It is currently Fri 22 Mar 2019 22:06 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

Health issues

Depression - Visa application

Post here about healthcare in Australia. (NB - postings about visa-related medical issues belong on the "Visas/medicals" forum.)

Depression - Visa application

Postby LloydFam » Sat 28 Jun 2008 22:02 GMT

I suffer from depression and am currently on antidepressants. I note that in the visa application I need to answer to the critical illness section. I don't know what to say as I have not been hospitalised etc I just need a little help from the antidepressants.

Are there prescription charges in Australia?

Please help :(
Posted by:
LloydFam

Postby SSue » Sun 29 Jun 2008 06:58 GMT

You need to be completely honest when filling in forms. Your medical history will be checked thoroughly.

Yes you do pay for prescriptions in Aus.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby peterj » Wed 2 Jul 2008 12:59 GMT

Prescriptions are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, so MOST prescribed meds for MOST conditions have a max price of $29.50 (I think thats the current price). If you are low income and qualify for a health care card, the price is reduced further.

If your overall medical bills (including prescriptions, doctor visits, dental etc) for the year exceeds a certain threshold (around $1200??) you get a tax break.

Hope this helps.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
peterj
Free member

Postby tamar » Thu 10 Feb 2011 06:12 GMT

I don't think that antidepressant can be a cause of rejection of VISA because ( I am emphasizing on the word) I myself has got VISA even when I was running on medication. The thing is, how you are handling them at the time of form filling and interview.

Return to Health issues