It is currently Fri 22 Mar 2019 16:28 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines

Proving works history

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to Canada.

Proving works history

Postby bdave1975 » Sun 17 Aug 2014 09:57 GMT

Hi all I'm in the process of applying to the skilled worker stream of the Canadian emigration process. My main issue is proving work experience. I have to provide 10 years of proof for previous employment but the majority of my old companies have gone into receivership or have closed.

Any ideas on what i can do to prove my time at these places? I have tried contacting old colleagues etc. but to little avail.

Help!
Posted by:
bdave1975

Postby Graeme » Sun 17 Aug 2014 15:11 GMT

That's difficult. You can swear an affidavit but without corroboration it doesn't carry much weight. You really need to get a previous worker to write a letter saying that's where you worked and that the business doesn't exist any more. ideally the worker would be a manager or someone with some authority. There has to be some record of who owned or ran the business and really, you need to track them down and get them to write something. It might be easier if you wrote the letter for them and just had them sign it, that way they may be more inclined to sign if there's no work for them.
I was in a similar situation when my educational school was closed and the records were 'lost' I was lucky enough to find an instructor who remembered me and was able to give a very good letter of support (I was trying to do another degree at the time) hopefully the same will happen for you.
Cheers
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines