It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 21:10 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

electricity/water bills - domestic v residential

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Re: electricity/water bills - domestic v residential

Postby gozomark » Fri 26 Feb 2016 07:39 GMT

have the previous tenants left the island ? if so, they will probably still be registered to that address
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Sat 27 Feb 2016 15:19 GMT

euphony wrote:So, am I correct in thinking that a landlord can refuse to allow me to be recognised as a resident at their property? Isn't this illegal somehow? That sounds crazy as it would show clearly that they're trying to fiddle the taxman.

The landlord can refuse to sign the forms but he can not prevent you registering without his permission as ARMS are now obliged to accept the form from you with just your eResidence or passport and a lease aggreement. No signature from the landlord or his ID are required.

Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby euphony » Mon 28 Mar 2016 15:28 GMT

We now have our e-Residence cards and are going to ask the landlords to put us on to the residential tariff. I notice Foxglove said that we can simply fill a form out and hand it to ARMS without the owners having to sign anything. Any idea what form it is?
I'd prefer to wait to see if the landlords do the right thing before go down that line though.
Just to make sure I'm understanding things right here. The landlords will register the property as residential as we're residing there long term, and that is free, but it won't have our names on the bill?
I saw there was a thing about putting our names on the bill ,but this would cost 466 euros.
I assume doing the first method still gains the same residential rate as if we'd transferred the whole bill into our name?
I also read something about making sure the bill states how many people reside at the property (i.e. 2, in our case). I assume this is crucial?
sorry for all the questions :)

Chris
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Mon 28 Mar 2016 15:49 GMT

"I assume doing the first method still gains the same residential rate as if we'd transferred the whole bill into our name?"
yes

"I also read something about making sure the bill states how many people reside at the property (i.e. 2, in our case). I assume this is crucial?"
the crucial thing is get on the right tariff - getting right number is even better as you get a subsidised amount of water per person
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Mon 28 Mar 2016 15:53 GMT

Thanks Mark :)

I just need to find this form Foxglove was talking about now as a back up. The one I found said it had to be filled out by the account holder, which of course I am not :(
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Wed 30 Mar 2016 10:56 GMT

I asked in the ARMS office about whether I could do it without the landlord, just with my Id etc but they seemed to say no and handed me a form they landlord still has to sign :?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Wed 30 Mar 2016 11:16 GMT

euphony wrote:I asked in the ARMS office about whether I could do it without the landlord, just with my Id etc but they seemed to say no and handed me a form they landlord still has to sign :?

This information was in the Times of Malta, but which form I have no idea. What one official at ARMS tells you will be different to the next one.
In January they came and read my water meter for the first time in 18 months having been estimating usage at 4 Cu.M per 2 month bill. When the bill arrived they charged most of the extra 90 Cu.M at the high rate and ignored our entitlement of 33 Cu.M pa. each at the reduced rate. On the phone the answer was basically 'Tough' the account is not in your name, I have had a reply to a letter I sent 7 weeks ago saying the opposite and a revised bill is in the post!

So who knows.

Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby euphony » Thu 31 Mar 2016 06:47 GMT

Good grief! :shock:

Although I guess I shouldnt be surprised.

Can someone clarify a (rather) silly question I have regarding the billing of kwh by Enemalta please.
Their website states that 'Your electricity consumption is measured in kilo watt hours (kWh). One kilo watt hour is the amount of electrical energy consumed when switching on electrical equipment rated at 1,000 watts for one hour. In your bill, one kilo watt hour is represented as one unit.'

It then states on the tariff page that Band 1 of 0 - 2,000 kwh is charged at 0.1365 euros per kwh at domestic rate (what we're currently on)

So, my stupid question is regarding the reading on my meter. On the day we moved in it read 7516, and a month later it is reading 7627. So on my bill will the number of units read a consumption of 111 units? and therefore it will be 111 units x 0.1365 = 15.15 euros? (plus service charge of course)

The bit that's confusing me is the 1000 watts equalling 1kwh and whether when my meter adds on a digit, whether that's 1 kwh or not.

I'm just trying to see what the difference willbe between the 2 tariffs and also don't want any nasty surprises!

:hide:
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby ozzy » Thu 31 Mar 2016 07:24 GMT

I got around the problem by having the letting agent have it written in to the Lease that the landlord would sign and submit the Form H .. so have res rate for utility's ...
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Thu 31 Mar 2016 17:15 GMT

euphony wrote:
So, my stupid question is regarding the reading on my meter. On the day we moved in it read 7516, and a month later it is reading 7627. So on my bill will the number of units read a consumption of 111 units? and therefore it will be 111 units x 0.1365 = 15.15 euros? (plus service charge of course)

The bit that's confusing me is the 1000 watts equalling 1kwh and whether when my meter adds on a digit, whether that's 1 kwh or not.

I'm just trying to see what the difference willbe between the 2 tariffs and also don't want any nasty surprises!

:hide:

Your assumption is correct and it is 111 units (seems quite low)

If you get on the residential tariff then the rate should drop to 0.1047 for 0 - 2000 units per annum with an 'eco reduction' as long as you keep within that band for 1 resident or 1750 each for 2.

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby euphony » Fri 1 Apr 2016 06:45 GMT

Thanks Ray :)

Yes, it's slightly lower than it wold normally be as the owners paid some in advance to settle the bill before we got here and paid too much, so it took us a couple of weeks to reach the reading they'd paid up to (not that we're complaining :D )
So the first reading I quoted was taken from the point at which we started accumulating the units ourselves.
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby DavidH » Fri 1 Apr 2016 07:03 GMT

Admittedly I'm going back a few years but when we took over this house the landlord was only to happy for us to be on the bill and it helped that he knew the guy at the Water Services Office so paved the way for us. The bill is still in his name as officially he lives here, but that's not my concern and we won't go into that. There were four of us to be added and that needed four forms but they only wanted a copy of one residence certificate as it was then. We were and still are on the Residential tariff but I noticed that when my partner died last year the no of residents went down from 4 to 3 without my telling them.
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby euphony » Wed 20 Apr 2016 15:49 GMT

Does anyone know how the 'estimates' are worked out? We're now registered as residents at the property but are yet to receive a bill and when i enquired ARMS told me the next one would be soon and be estimated.
What is it estimated on exactly? The previous tenants used a lot more water and electric than we did so I don't want to be paying for something we haven't used, but it sounds like that may be the case. I said I could provide them with an up to date meter reading but she didn't seem to want it :?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Wed 20 Apr 2016 17:13 GMT

estimates based on previous usagwe in the property - people say you dont need to pay estimated bills (but I always have done) - you can give them an uptodate reading - I think it costs you a few euro if you do so - I think you can give the actualreading online, if you have the account details
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Wed 20 Apr 2016 17:49 GMT

gozomark wrote:estimates based on previous usagwe in the property - people say you dont need to pay estimated bills (but I always have done) - you can give them an uptodate reading - I think it costs you a few euro if you do so - I think you can give the actualreading online, if you have the account details

Mark is correct in that you are not obliged to pay estimated bills.

The vast majority of homes should have smart meters by now so the electricity reading is sent to ARMS automatically but the water meter is only read twice a year, so you have two estimated bills in between meter readings.
We use around 13 cubic meters every 2 month billing period but are only estimated at 4, our water meter was listed as automatic (linked to radio transmitter) but it did not work and we were billed as no reading for 18 months.
The problem is when they catch up they may well charge the majority of it at the higher rate of over €5 per cu.m. (€500 bill),as they did with us, and did not give us the 33 cu.m allowance p.a. each. It took 2 months to get the bill changed.
They said they would only accept meter readings from the account holder with a form filled in and a photo of the meter reading and yes there is a charge.

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

PreviousNext

Return to Money matters