It is currently Tue 20 Nov 2018 21:25 GMT
Change font size

Motoring

Driving lessons in Malta / Lerner's Permit

You're more likely to get seasick on the bumpy roads than on the ferry... Will you feel better when you know the details of importing your car or bike?

Moderator: gozomark

Driving lessons in Malta / Lerner's Permit

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sat 26 Jul 2014 12:23 GMT

My wife (non-EU) has no driving license. She moved to Malta 2 months ago and would like to start driving lessons immediately.

But driving schools provide following information:

To apply for driving lessons in Malta students MUST:

-Be eighteen years or over
-Have been residing in Malta for not less than 6 months
-Have a Maltese I.D. (Identity Card)

This will enable them to be fully insured when applying for a Learners' Permit (Provisional Driving Licence) that is valid for a period of three years. Students must start lessons only after obtaining the Learners' Permit issued by Transport Malta (TM).

Transport Malta has a form with the similar information: http://www.transport.gov.mt/admin/uploa ... V%2029.pdf

C. Declaration of Residence
1. I declare that I have been a resident of Malta for at least 185 days in the last calendar year;
2. I confirm that, during the last 3 years, I have resided in the address(es) indicated below, during the periods of
time stated;
3. I declare that I have never held a driving licence in any other Member State; *
4. I declare that if I hold a driving licence in a third country I shall withdraw the driving licence to the Authority;
5. I declare that I never had a driving licence refused, revoked, withdrawn or suspended by another Member State
or third country.

But they also state:

D. Addenda to Declaration of Residence
If you have any reservations about any of the Declarations in Section C please advise for which, and why, below;

I wonder if this is legal? How can the Maltese state forbid her to do driving lessons.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sat 26 Jul 2014 12:35 GMT

In addition, the practical handling of the residence requirement can be considered as discrimination.

This is how it is handled: http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp ... ng-licence

All clients bearing ID Cards or Residence Cards ending with “A” or “L” are kindly asked to ensure that the DRV29 form (which includes declarations in line with their residence in Malta and other possible previous driving licence held) had been previously filled in and presented to Transport Malta either at the Learner Permit stage or separately through this form before a Driving test application can be considered.

So, only foreigners have to prove residency! Maltese nationals do not have to prove residency.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby Malteser1 » Sat 26 Jul 2014 13:03 GMT

In order to obtain up-to-date and reliable information it would be best to write to this free service. They write within days and you can show the reply to the Maltese authorities in case you find obstacles.

https://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/
Posted by:
Malteser1

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sat 26 Jul 2014 13:28 GMT

Thx. Will ask them next week.
I am waiting for Tranport Malta to reply to my findings.
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby deepwater1 » Sun 27 Jul 2014 09:01 GMT

You will be waiting a long time, transport Malta are not very good at replying to e-mails!
Posted by:
deepwater1
Premium Member

Postby richardweninger » Sun 27 Jul 2014 10:12 GMT

Hi Kraut,

Maltese nationals not residing in Malta do not ( or should not ) have an ID card and the other provisions are only the implementation of EU law to make sure that you cannot apply for and get driving licences from different EU countries at the same time.

Germany and other EU countries have the same rules! Only ordinary residents can apply for a driving licence and have to give up any other EU driving licence that they might possess. On the other side EU driving licences are valid in other EU countries until they expire , and the German licence does not expire -)))

It has nothing to do with discrimination against foreigners.

Cheers
Ricky
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
richardweninger
Free member

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sun 27 Jul 2014 14:24 GMT

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your post. I am aware of the situation.

There is an EU directive regarding driving licenses, but it is up to the individual country how to implement / handle that directive.
In Germany the 185 days out of 365 rule also applies, but if you present facts, that you WILL BE in Germany for at least 185 days you can start lessons immediately. Facts are e.g. work contract > 185 days, one marries a person living in Germany, ...

futher replies to your comment:

Maltese nationals not residing in Malta do not ( or should not ) have an ID card

A Maltese applies for a ID card and moves to the UK. He comes back for holidays and does driving lessons. So we have a non-resident Maltese having an ID card.
You can also have your German Personalausweis and live in Malta. Where is the problem?

It has nothing to do with discrimination against foreigners.

the practical handling of the residence requirement is discriminatory: Residence Cards ending with “A” only belong to foreigners. There we have it: Only a foreigner has to prove residency whereas a Maltese does not have to prove residency.

Only ordinary residents can apply for a driving licence

my wife is a ordinary resident. she is just less than 6 monts on the island until now, but it is very plausible, that she will be on the island for some years.
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby Kraut ;-) » Fri 15 Aug 2014 11:57 GMT

Email to Transport Malta: July 28; reply August 8.

No reply to my complaint regarding the discrimination of non-Maltese residents.

But the end result is more or less satisfactory. So I won't bother them any further regarding the discrimination issue. Don't think my wife will make it that fast. If she passes really fast, I can still bother them again regarding the discrimination issue.

Please note that although the Authority may at any time do any checking’s necessary before any application is accepted, however a Learner Permit can be issued prior to the 185 days, and any client may even sit for a driving test. The restriction lies for the issuance a Driving Licence (i.e. after training and testing is finalised) whereas all minimum criteria’s must are met.
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Fri 15 Aug 2014 14:04 GMT

well done !
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Re: Driving lessons in Malta / Lerner's Permit

Postby den567 » Wed 15 Aug 2018 17:07 GMT

Hello,

What do I need to do to start taking driving lessons,
how I Apply for Learner's Permit with Royal Motoring School.
Posted by:
den567

Return to Motoring