It is currently Sun 26 May 2019 22:32 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Iceland – Quick Quiz
    For such a small nation, Iceland has a lot of superlatives. How much do you know about this intriguing country on the north-western edge of Europe?

Which area?

which area?

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

which area?

Postby rockfire9uk » Mon 14 Feb 2011 13:43 GMT

hi, we are from leeds thinking about moving to nz. just wandering which place in nz are nice place to live. safe, low crime, best school, good place to raise kids.. thought about wellington but bit concerned about earthqueakes, any advice, thanks.
Posted by:
rockfire9uk

Postby sexley0x » Thu 17 Feb 2011 09:18 GMT

Hi....

There are loads of nice places in New Zealand (and some that are not, as with anywhere) and Wellington is certainly one of them. If you are concerned about earthquakes then it might be best not to come as they can happen everywhere and anywhere in NZ. If you check the following website (http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html) out you will notice that there has been plenty of recent earthquakes and none of these have been in Wellington :D

Earthquakes are part and parcel of NZ life and I am quickly learning that people just get on with it.

Me and my family have been in Whitby (25 mins outside Welly) for 2 months now and it's a great place with all the things you mentioned you wanted.

Don't let the quakes put you off Welly.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, I wouldn't call myself an expert after two months but I am quickly getting to grips with NZ (I work all over the country) and have been several times before.

Cheers
Posted by:
sexley0x

Postby Dave » Thu 17 Feb 2011 14:35 GMT

Hi, sexley0x, and welcome. :-D

Your link (to a government site, and thus totally in accordance with our guidelines - as well as being very useful) didn't work, so I've taken the liberty of fixing it for everyone's convenience.

I'd never realised that NZ was so prone to earthquakes, though with that whole "Ring of Fire" thing going on round the Pacific Rim I suppose it shouldn't really have been that much of a surprise.

From the magnitude, it looks as if they're more of a background nuisance most of the time - is that right? (A pal of ours who lived in Tokyo for a while used to take a certain amount of sadistic pleasure in watching tourists' reactions in the higher floors of department stores whenever something moderately powerful struck.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby rockfire9uk » Fri 18 Feb 2011 00:10 GMT

HOw about living in New Plymouth, taranaki is it nice compare to wellington? Sorry I had to ask and ask lots of questions prior to make a decision where to go. Did you go via skilled migration? How long did it takes to process? thanks.
Posted by:
rockfire9uk

Postby sexley0x » Fri 18 Feb 2011 01:26 GMT

Hi

I can''t help you with New Plymouth or Taranaki as I haven't been there as yet.

We came through the company I worked for and I have a 2 year visa. I guess I did it the easy way!!!

I guess when deciding where to live you should factor in what you will want to do when you are out here. If you intend to travel a lot round the country then I guess being central would be good?

It's a difficult decision but don;t worry too much as there are lots of nice places to live in NZ.

Cheers
Posted by:
sexley0x

Postby Toonster » Tue 1 Mar 2011 05:08 GMT

Hi and welcome to the forums :D

Sorry that I've not been on in a bit - real life intervened!

I, too am Wellington based, (Lower Hutt), so I'm afraid I can't answer about New Plymouth.

I do love Wellington though, so would advocate for it! Here we have sea, hills, city and countryside all encapsulated within a very small radius. :D There's so much to do here (honestly - I am out four to five nights a week...), and everyone is so friendly.

Re earthquakes - New Zealand isn't known as the Shaky Isles for nothing! However, with regards to Wellington, although it sits on a fault line, I can honestly say that with living here for just over a year and four months now, the only quake I have felt was the shake from Christchurch last week (and I am based on the 12th floor of an office block). It is a risk that we all take living here, just as the risk from flooding, high winds, or being hit by a bus when you cross the street :wink:

I came through the Skilled Migrant process, so am happy to give you info on my experiences on that (though please could you post a question / the specific info that you are after in the Immigration, Visa, Residency, Medicals section, so that we can keep things easy to see for new people coming along?)

The best thing that I can suggest if you are struggling to decide where to live is, if you can afford it, to take a holiday out here. Hire a campervan, travel round. Whilst you will never get the ins and outs of daily life in that way, you can get a good idea of a first impression of an area and whether you'd feel able to settle.
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Toonster » Fri 4 Mar 2011 05:38 GMT

Toonster wrote:
Re earthquakes - New Zealand isn't known as the Shaky Isles for nothing! However, with regards to Wellington, although it sits on a fault line, I can honestly say that with living here for just over a year and four months now, the only quake I have felt was the shake from Christchurch last week (and I am based on the 12th floor of an office block).

OK - this week has given the lie to this statement - we've had two Wellington quakes in the last week; the first on Tuesday evening, (a few hours after I posted the above!), which I missed as I was coming back from a friend's, and the second last night which woke me up. Very distinctive, and it did set my heart pounding for a little while!
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby gail2802 » Thu 14 Jun 2012 11:57 GMT

Hi Toonster

Just a quick question about Wellington. We are looking at moving over with our 2 kids under 3 years old, how windy is windy wellington?? :)
Posted by:
gail2802

Postby Toonster » Fri 15 Jun 2012 06:15 GMT

Hi Gail,
Windy Wellington is Windy :D On a good day, it will just be a quiet breeze, but, particularly in winter and spring, there are some days when gusts will attempt to knock you off your feet! After rain storms, there are usually a scattering of umbrellas in the bins from people who haven't learned that umbrellas and Wellington don't mix... Though, of course, to any visitor, you have to say that it is "just a light breeze". :wink:

To be honest, on most days, you don't notice it unless you are either high up in the hills, or on particular street corners which are wind tunnels. It certainly shouldn't put you off coming here!
Living in Windy Welly!
Posted by:
Toonster

Return to Which area?