It is currently Fri 22 Mar 2019 17:11 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

Which area?

Areas around Wellingon

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Areas around Wellingon

Postby NewtoNZ12 » Wed 4 Jan 2012 11:36 GMT

Hi

We are moving to Wellie later this year, we have been and explored Wellie last year so know the areas, but not the insider knowledge!
We are county folk and don't want to live/buy in the centre. OH likes Eastbourne and getting the boat to work! Does anyone live there, does it have a community feel are the local schools good? We know it is expensive, is it worth the cost?
We like the idea of living in Moonshine Valley but worry it might be too isolating for children?
Is Plimmerton nice on house research we are doing it throws up some lovely coastal houses, is it a damp area? Are the schools good, is it a nice area (about the only place we didn't explore)!
I really liked Raumati and is just on edge of the 1 hr commute radius we have set ourselves! I have been told it is a holiday home place, but would like to know again if there is a feeling of community there? The schools in the area looked lovely are they as good as they look?
Any help, info, advice on these areas much appreciated.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
NewtoNZ12
Free member

Postby Toonster » Thu 5 Jan 2012 02:26 GMT

Hi and welcome to the forums! :-)

Good luck with the move - when are you planning to arrive?

I'm based in the Hutt Valley (moved from Lower to Upper Hutt just before Christmas), sorry - I'm not able to help on the suburbs you've noted, as we've not lived in any of them (no children, so can't help at all on the schools, sorry).

Do be aware that damp and cold can be a problem in a number of areas (whether by the coast or not) - it will depend on the house and how well insulated / heated it is. Do not jump straight in to buying your own house (even though it is so easy to buy here - we went from looking round a house to moving in in just under 4 weeks...) - definitely worth renting for a while to make sure that you like the area before making the commitment.

Getting the ferry to work from Eastbourne sounds like fun (in the summer, not so much in the winter), but do note that it is significantly more expensive ($252 monthly (http://eastbywest.co.nz/fares/) as opposed to $180 monthly that it is on the bus (http://www.metlink.org.nz/adults/ - 6 fare zones)) - you may want to mix and match depending on the weather :-)
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Return to Which area?