It is currently Mon 14 Oct 2019 21:40 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

State schools/education

Moving Summer 2016 - Sliema/St Julian's school help

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Moving Summer 2016 - Sliema/St Julian's school help

Postby MrsFD » Thu 10 Dec 2015 18:06 GMT

Hi there

My husband and I along with our 3 children are relocating to Sliema next July and all three are school age. When we arrive they will be..
Girl - 6
Boy - 13 (14 in Oct)
Girl 15

We have been emailing the schools, both private and state and only 1 has got back to us and it is one we are not going to choose. We can't really afford private school for all kids until I am set up with work. It will only be my husband working to start with as he has employment already.

I have seen some mention about English being spoken in State schools. I am worried about the change for the children but if there is English spoken then it shouldn't be a problem.

Is it true the Secondary schools teach in English because the books are in English? I just need to clear these sort of things up.

My husband wont be going over until May to sort accommodation and finalising schooling but would like to have a school chosen prior to that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gillian
Posted by:
MrsFD

Re: Moving Summer 2016 - Sliema/St Julian's school help

Postby gozomark » Fri 11 Dec 2015 08:20 GMT

welcome to the forum :-)

I'm sorry I cant help you much with schools, as I dont have kids, but I know that most foreigners send their kids to state not private schools, and that particularly in areas where a lot of foreigners live, then there seem to be only minor language issues. As for private schools, I thought, but could be wrong, but they are generally in English
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to State schools/education