It is currently Wed 13 Nov 2019 00:29 GMT
Change font size

Opinions/Politics

Time off for periods

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Time off for periods

Postby Kay » Wed 2 Mar 2016 15:01 GMT

Eh? Now women can take time off for menstrual pain - and make it up later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-35700213

Sorry. I'm against it. Women will never achieve equality in the work place when there are policies like this. I'm all for flexible working. If anyone, male or female, feels under the weather for whatever reason, then let them take time off and make it up later. But "period leave" is a smack in the face for those women who expect to be treated as equals.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Time off for periods

Postby ruggie » Tue 22 Mar 2016 11:54 GMT

I agree with you. There have been some good articles in the press (by women) trashing this idea.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby JJ » Tue 29 Mar 2016 12:56 GMT

In the interests of equality could men get days off for away games, test matches and hangovers? :lol:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Wed 30 Mar 2016 09:48 GMT

NO! JJ, that's a despicable suggestion.

It's not fair and it's sexist. I'd want days off for hangovers too. Why should men have it all their own way?

I want days off for hangovers, can't be arsed doing anything days, and days off for found a new book/film that I really must see.

More seriously, I'd like people to work smarter to cram more productivity into fewer days. Three day weekends? Or even more work form home (WFH) days.

It's commuting time that's the killer, especially for those who work in central London. Who the heck can afford to live near there these days?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Wed 30 Mar 2016 09:55 GMT

I've long had this mantra about moving jobs to where people are rather than the other way round. London is full yet they keep developing - off the top of my head I'd say office space in London has increased by 50-100% since the '70s (could easily be much more) yet transport capacity by only about 20%.

Some businesses are building WFH into their methods primarily because they don't have enough space and can't afford more. Personally I like to work from home 2-3 days a week but not full time as a bit of face-to-face contact is useful for keeping in touch.

As Jon Honeyball argued in his column in PC-Pro magazine a couple of years ago, the £50-80Bn cost of HS2 (that would allow a few thousand people to commute even further every day) would be far better spent putting fibre internet into every property in the country.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Wed 30 Mar 2016 10:02 GMT

This has just reminded me of the Denis Norden autobiography which I'm currently reading. It's full of amusing anecdotes!

He was a cinema (assistant) manager when he was very young and part of his job was to do the rota for the usherettes (ugh, what a horrible word) to take round the tray to sell ice creams during the interval. Apparently this tray was quite heavy, so if the girls were menstruating at the time, they could be excused this onerous task - pretty much on the basis of not being well enough to do it.

Mr Norden, being young and naive, didn't understand the mechanics of it all and found himself having to reorganise the rota to accommodate girls who seemed to menstruate every couple of weeks. He did try to challenge one about this but was stared down to the extent that he just fled rather than discuss the matter. Oh, the good old days when "women's problems" were a big secret. :crackup:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 30 Mar 2016 10:07 GMT

Oops, sorry, JJ. I was posting at the same time as you.

Yes, I completely agree - move some of the work out from London.

But haven't they already tried to do that to some extent with the "new towns", eg Milton Keynes and East Kilbride. There's also something in Wales (DVLA?). Does that work? Maybe they haven't done enough of it.

Wow! Imagine what it would do to house prices if they took work to the people instead of making people commute to the already over-developed work places. That would be exciting - and scary for some. :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 30 Mar 2016 16:39 GMT

Working from home has become much more common than it was even 20 years ago, but what it really means depends on the job. Sometimes it is 'working on the move' rather than 'working from home'. For example, my daughter-in-law is nominally a part-timer, paid for 3 days' work a week. In practice, she lives in Norwich and commutes to London two or three days a week, but she works on-demand, intermittently, across a zone of around 12 hours a day and 6 days a week. She is never without her phone (bluetooth-connected in her car and often active while she is ferrying kids to & from school and other activities). You have to really enjoy your job to do that without going nuts.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 6 Apr 2016 16:59 GMT

equal rights for semi-colons
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 7 Apr 2016 00:02 GMT

I have enough medical problems without getting into discussing colons, semi or otherwise. Feel free to talk about these matters among yourselves.

That said, I've been investigating bathroom lighting recently and was mildly perturbed to discover that you can have motion sensitive bathroom lighting. Does that mean you have to do a shit before the light comes on? I don't think that's a great idea. I have told our builder that I'd prefer to have a light switch.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Thu 7 Apr 2016 08:53 GMT

Quite the opposite - sit too long and you're plunged into darkness.
Posted by:
JJ

Return to Opinions/Politics