It is currently Thu 9 Jul 2020 10:32 GMT
Change font size

Welcome and Getting Started

The Holiday is over

Please read this, especially if you are new to forums. It gives advice on how to post, acceptable use etc. From time to time we might post special announcements here too, so watch out for the orange flag!

The Holiday is over

Postby DerekH » Wed 9 Mar 2016 21:10 GMT

First time poster here.
My wife and I returned last night to a mildly moist England ( it has been hissing down ).
After some years of trying to persuade my dearly beloved to retire to Spain, I gave up a couple of years ago. Then, out of the blue, after only a couple of days in Mellieha, she said,"This will do nicely".
I began to look at the area with a little more interest, looking past the initial grubbiness, into the countryside, walking and thought, she might have a point. Cutting a long story short. After another holiday or two, this autumn and spring '17.I reckon we may have found our retirement in the sun.

I met a great Maltese guy named Frank, who has as neighbours a couple called Ann & Mike. Now if anyone knows Ann & Mike, or if you are reading this, try to get them to drop me a line on here, or by pm. I'm the bloke you met in Mellieha village about a week ago.

Such nice people on the Island.We had a trip to Valletta.The bus on the way back was full.A lad and young girl gave up their seats for us wrinklies. I'm not sure if I was more shocked by two teens being so polite, or put out being seen as needing the seats because we looked so infirm. Lovely place, great people,can't wait to get back.
Enough for now,
Derek
Posted by:
DerekH

Re: The Holiday is over

Postby Alexess » Thu 10 Mar 2016 10:29 GMT

Glad to hear that you had a positive experience.

When it comes to the Big Move you will find there is a wealth of experience and useful advice here on the forum.

Good Luck

Alex
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Alexess
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 10 Mar 2016 17:52 GMT

welcome to the group :-)

Mellieha is nice, so nice its almost as nice as Gozo :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Fri 11 Mar 2016 09:14 GMT

Hi Derek and welcome

Glad to hear that you may be on the move here. I've been here ten years now and I don't regret it for a moment. OK it's a little bizarre at times but I love it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. As Alex has said, this forum is invaluable and if you can't find the answer to a particular question then just ask, someone will know.

Best of luck with your plans, let us know how it goes :D

(Oh and fingers crossed that the referendum keeps the UK in the EU)
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby DerekH » Sun 13 Mar 2016 09:05 GMT

Not sure what to do for the best re our move. It's warming up (a tiny bit), I saw 8c on my truck dash yesterday. England in spring and summer takes a bit of beating. At 40c I would be falling over.
So a bit of, what our American cousins call, Snowbirding, may be the answer.
Whether we rent somewhere full time and only live in it 4 or 5 months, or rent a holiday let from November to March costings would have to be investigated. At least with the former, all we would have to do is jump on an Easyjet at Luton. I've got 18 months or so to make up my mind, so if you have anything to suggest, don't be shy.
Any help on the Ann/Mike thing ?
Posted by:
DerekH

Postby DavidH » Thu 17 Mar 2016 09:51 GMT

Whether you decide on moving permantly or for only part of the year the best advice is to rent first, then you can decide a) whether you like it or not and b) which area you want to live in.
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 17 Mar 2016 11:26 GMT

I agree with David. regardless of what country you choose, and even if you're repatriating, rent before you buy to get an idea of what you're proposing to buy into.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby DerekH » Fri 18 Mar 2016 09:28 GMT

I agree with renting as a first option. Although with people in our position, renting would be our only option. We will need to keep our UK home. And unless we come up on the lottery (keep buying those tickets), buying a second home would remain a pipe dream.*
Derek
* Is it still a pipe dream for a non-smoker?
Posted by:
DerekH

Return to Welcome and Getting Started