It is currently Fri 25 May 2018 03:09 GMT
Change font size

Picture House

Dickensian series cancelled

Want to talk about the latest films you've seen or your favourite telly programmes of all time? Here's where to talk about anything related to the big or small screen.

Dickensian series cancelled

Postby Kay » Fri 22 Apr 2016 07:25 GMT

Dave and I were big fans of Dickensian, it was an excellent drama. Unfortunately, there won't be any more. Boo! Hiss!

I wonder what crap the BBC will spend the money on instead. When they have excellent (and I assume popular) dramas, why do they always have to dumb down and broadcast more rubbish?

There are goodness knows how many TV channels these days, churning out content 24/7, yet it often seems that there's nothing worth watching. And on the rare occasions there is, it's short-lived. I do understand why the Beeb has to appeal to the masses but we pay our for our TV licence too. Is it really too much to hope for just a few hours a week of something more than reality shows, cookery programmes (actually, I enjoy many of them), mediocre "comedy", and general crap?

Well, I'm disappointed anyway. Did anyone else here have a chance to watch it? Highly recommended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36101651
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Dickensian series cancelled

Postby DavidH » Fri 22 Apr 2016 08:59 GMT

I absolutely adored it!!! The best thing on TV for many a year. Just shows what excellent drama the BBC can produce when they put their mind to it. Sadly they've decided to put their mind elsewhere. The cast were terrific and Stephen Rea, as Bucket, in particular deserves an award. Wonderful stuff. I know that the story lines and some scripts had already been written, what a waste. :(
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 22 Apr 2016 09:24 GMT

Hi David, our tastes in TV and films seem to be very similar. I wonder if you've seen Indian Summers- which is still running. That's a Channel 4 drama set in the days of when the Raj was coming to an end and Partition was imminent. It's enthralling. It's of particular interest to Dave and me because we've both lived in Bangladesh and then India. But I have the hat-trick as I lived in Pakistan before I met him.

Even if you haven't lived there, or indeed been there, it's still a wonderful historical drama. Always full of intrigue and unexpected twists. And it stars Julie Walters! What more could you ask for?

It's been talked of in terms of the best drama about India since The Jewel In The Crown. I wouldn't argue with that.

Another of our all-time favourites is I, Claudius starring Derek Jacobi. When we lived in Thailand, we even ordered the full series on DVD and had it sent from the UK. That wasn't cheap - but worth every penny!

Perhaps we might have missed some greats which you would recommend.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Fri 22 Apr 2016 09:39 GMT

I haven't got around to 'Indian Summers' though several people speak very highly about it. I must give it a go. Certainly 'The Jewel in the Crown' was wonderful and I've since read the books at least twice. 'Brideshead Revisted' was also great, did you see that? Going back a bit though.
Did you watch 'The West Wing' - one of the best TV series ever made.
Then there's 'Lewis', of course, and now 'Endeavour'. Also 'George Gently', in fact anything with Martin Shaw. :)
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 22 Apr 2016 09:58 GMT

Some great heads-ups there, thanks!

We've not yet watched Brideshead Revisted shame on us! And look at the cast list!!!

Nor The West Wing.

Not so keen on Lewis, loved Morse and recently watched Endeavour. We liked Endeavour a lot for its own sake but didn't think it quite rang true as being an accurate portrayal of the young Morse.

Since you like detective stories, may I recommend Whitechapel?

Just a thought, have you ever watched The Crow Road? That dates back to 1996 and is based on a novel by Iain Banks. It's brilliant! It's a four-parter, but don't start watching it in the evening because you won't be able to stop and you'll still be there, hungry for breakfast, and unable to stop watching it until you get to the end and find out what happens.

Iain Banks said about the TV series, "Annoyingly better than the book." LOL!
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 22 Apr 2016 13:05 GMT

The Crow Road was brilliant, both as a book and as a film.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 23 Apr 2016 06:46 GMT

Kay wrote:We've not yet watched Brideshead Revisited shame on us! And look at the cast list!!!

Speak for yourself :twisted: I was pretty sure we had watched it together, but maybe not.

You might very well think the original House of Cards trilogy with Ian Richardson was brilliant. I couldn't possibly comment. 8-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sat 23 Apr 2016 07:10 GMT

:crackup:
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 23 Apr 2016 13:45 GMT

I have a very bad memory (according to my wife), but I thought you commented on Brideshead Revisited on BE at the time. Feel like trawling the archives, Dave? Beware. I could be wrong...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 24 Apr 2016 06:04 GMT

I don't have a good memory these days and I have no recollection of watching Brideshead Revisited. Perhaps if we watch it again(?) I'll remember it. Or maybe it'll be another "new" experience for me. :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 24 Apr 2016 08:58 GMT

The Indian Doctor, starring Sanjeev Bhaskar is another excellent drama. It's about an Indian doctor (surprise!) who takes up a post in a small Welsh mining village. Lots of comedy in this one too. The Beeb are currently rerunning Series 3 on iPlayer (plus it's available on DVD).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cz639
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sun 24 Apr 2016 09:18 GMT

I've been enjoying 'The Indian Doctor' too - well written and acted.

I've just remembered that I enjoyed 'The Crow Road', having just seen the DVD on the shelf and I may watch it again.
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sun 24 Apr 2016 10:57 GMT

I get plenty of those. Last week I was surprised to find a long Georgette Heyer novel I couldn't remember reading until I got more than three quarters of the way through it - and even then the ending came as a surprise.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 24 Apr 2016 11:43 GMT

Do you guys subscribe to Netflix? You can sometimes find some good stuff on there but, as with Amazon Prime, it's often dominated by what's popular in the US.

Whitechapel and Merlin are two excellent series which can be found on there.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 25 Apr 2016 08:10 GMT

It's interesting that no one has mentioned the current giant, Game of Thrones yet.

Dave and I were keen to try but we just didn't get into it at all. On the basis that we might not have been in the right frame of mind the first time, we gave it a second try, and then a third. Nope, we still didn't like it. Mostly we thought there was too much shagging and not enough plot. :lol: We've no objection to seeing sex on screen, it's just that we found it rather dull. It was like when the adverts come on, you use the time to nip off to fetch a drink or go to the loo.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Picture House