It is currently Wed 19 Sep 2018 05:23 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Paraguay – Quick Quiz
    Paraguay, named after the river that flows centrally through it, is one of just two landlocked countries in the Americas. What else do you know about it?

Residency status and immigration issues

eResidence card renewal

Permanent Residency, Ordinary Residency or Temporary Residency? It depends on your financial circumstances, not on how much time you will spend in Malta. Getting it wrong could cost you dearly!

Moderator: gozomark

eResidence card renewal

Postby gozomark » Fri 16 Feb 2018 09:38 GMT

Application for renewal done this morning - as I was one of the first to apply 5 years ago, and as I've renewed the max one month before expiry, thought useful to let you know how it went

compared the fiasco 5 years ago, when nobody knew what was going on, it went very smoothly. As a Gozo resident, I was able to renew in Gozo - St Francis Square, Victoria, at the entitlement office. In and out within 30 minutes.
The main difference from 5 years ago in terms of paperwork is that they now want proof of actually living here - bank statement or credit card statement showing actual transactions in Gozo/Malta over the last 3 months.
They issued the temporary paperwork on the spot, which is sufficient for the ferry.
My wife as non EU member, was more complicated - I'm happy to discuss that on the private boards
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Re: eResidence card renewal

Postby Kay » Fri 16 Feb 2018 18:09 GMT

Thanks, Mark. I'm sure that'll be of interest to many.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Fri 23 Feb 2018 07:28 GMT

Thanks Mark, that's very useful. I have printed this off for reference as our cards expire in September. :D
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 15 Mar 2018 10:57 GMT

Just received letter my residence card is ready for collection - 4 weeks - in fact letter is dated 6/3, so actually only took less than 3 weeks, then 9 days to post it to me
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Gordon64 » Wed 4 Jul 2018 19:59 GMT

After reading the original post I am trying to understand what this means for myself.

I returned to the UK in May 2016, supposedly for six months. But after the referendum I could see I might be struggling financially due to the exchange rate so I stayed in the UK to save up! I am now planning to move back to Malta on 1 October. My residence card expires on 2 December 2018.

If I need to have three months of statements for a renewal I obviously won't have that by December. So will I need to apply from scratch?

Thanks!
Gordon
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Gordon64
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 4 Jul 2018 20:09 GMT

Every application is a new application not a renewal
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 4 Jul 2018 20:11 GMT

So you will need to be here for 3 months before applying
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Thu 9 Aug 2018 14:54 GMT

gozomark wrote:Every application is a new application not a renewal

Hi mark,
Is there any real benefit to going for permanent residence at the time of applying when existing 5 year residency expires. Ours is due this month and didn't know whether it might be beneficial in light of Brexit?

Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 9 Aug 2018 17:20 GMT

the benefits are 1. its 10 year expiry, and easy renewal 2. possibly better given Brexit

the negatives are 1. you will be taxed on your worldwide income 2. most likely will make no difference when Brexit happens, and it might even be UK passport holders have to apply for a new type just for us, who knows , certainly not our leaders 3. its a lot more paperwork to apply for it than the standard version
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Thu 9 Aug 2018 21:58 GMT

Thanks Mark.
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby DavidH » Thu 23 Aug 2018 09:07 GMT

Well, all three of us went to the E-Residence office in St Francis Square yesterday morning. We were a tad early as I thought it opened at 7.30 whereas it's 8.00 but was not a problem as we were then 2nd in line. All went very smoothly as all our documents were in order - many thanks to Mark for sharing his experience, particularly about them wanting 3 months Maltese bank statements, I also took a copy of my UK bank statement as both my state and private pensions are paid into that and he did want to see that. As we were applying on the basis of Economic Self Sufficiently we had, of course, to prove our savings which is still set at a minimum of 14,000 Euro. Each of us was in there for 15 to 20 minutes including the photo being taken and they were all very pleasant and helpful. Got the temporary document and he made the point that when collecting the new card to bring that as well as the letter telling you the card is ready, which is common sense but apparently not everyone does and have to go back again! All in all a straightforward process.
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 23 Aug 2018 09:11 GMT

pleased it went so smoothly :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby InMalta » Mon 3 Sep 2018 13:48 GMT

Have renewed eResidence at the Evans building in Valletta. It took two and a quarter hours. There are two parts to the process. You queue first at a desk in a room at the far end of the corridor on the ground floor. Two people were staffing the desk. They looked through the documents and handed back originals. There in no ticketing system for this queue so everybody stood, including people with crutches. This took more than an hour. For the second stage you are given a numbered ticket and are free to sit until your number comes up. The next person you see takes your photograph and inputs all your passport details into a computer before issuing a receipt/temporary ID. They said they would send a letter to advise when the new card is ready (about 6 weeks) but would not text or email.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
InMalta
Premium Member

Return to Residency status and immigration issues