It is currently Sun 18 Aug 2019 15:02 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Repatriation

very happy to be back home in UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

very happy to be back home in UK

Postby ukcharles » Sun 19 Oct 2008 07:58 GMT

I returned home 2 years ago. I am glad to be back. Say what you like about UK but to me its the best place in the world and it has taken me many years and living in may other countries to reach that conclusion.

I will not be leaving ever again. This time I am home to stay.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ukcharles
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 19 Oct 2008 09:19 GMT

That's a very interesting post, Charles. Would you like to expand on where you've lived and why you've come to this conclusion? Considering how many people are going in the other direction, it would be fascinating to know why you've gone home. 8)

Everyone is different - good luck with your decision. Do what's right for you! :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ukcharles » Tue 21 Oct 2008 21:06 GMT

20 years of expat life has been a whole lot of fun and my eyes have been opened far wider than they would ever have been if I had stayed on in britain.

To answer your question...I honestly cant say what one thing drew me back home here - fish & chips, nice beer, miles of open country roads to drive on, good TV (trust me its still the best in the world), good newspapers, etc may have played a small part in it...pretty strange but you actually MISS all this things when you go away. having a voice and free press is something to be grateful for. The main thing I suppose was that it is my true home.

You must not focus on the negative aspects of britain. It has lots of things going for it and we should be proud of your country. We have it good here compared to other countries.

Most folks in britain whine and whinge about it, but they have never lived anywhere else. We are known overseas as a nation of whingers with good reason !!

I have spent a lot of time in Hong Kong, Singapore, China and Australia to answer your question. I married a Hong Kong woman and she loves UK also. We have 3 kids now and they are very happy with their new life in britain. There is no space in Hong Kong for them and here we have a house with a garden (yes I know most other people in UK do too...but in hong kong most people dont, unless you are very rich)

Hong Kong is the best overseas place I have ever lived/worked in - if you get a chance to get a posting there, take it especially if you are young and single !! The expat community there is the best anywhere. The locals are very friendly and westerners integrate well with the local community. Hong Kong still has that very 'british' feel to it.

For any young person I would say get out there , see the world and live your life to the max.

I have no regrets at all.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ukcharles
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 21 Oct 2008 21:28 GMT

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit I do miss proper fish and chips sometimes (quite a lot!). But these days you can get a lot of stuff overseas. You can read the British newspapers online (we even made a website for that: http://www.britishpapers.co.uk ), get some British TV programmes via DVD, even nice beer in some places although it's usually expensive.

We did visit Hong Kong on holiday a few years ago and enjoyed it, but we found it quite expensive - as is the UK. Perhaps the cost of living or warm climate aren't high on your list of priorities. Those are a big part of the reason I personally don't want to go back.

Many other people cite crime in the UK and a better life for their kids elsewhere as reasons for leaving. There are also a lot of people who complain about foreigners in Britain. Yet they're quite happy to go and be a foreigner in someone else's country! It's a strange world. :lol:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ukcharles » Wed 29 Oct 2008 13:09 GMT

Its a funny old world isnt it. You go to Hong Kong and start missing Coronation Street and The News of the World etc..!!

I totally understand why many people want to leave and try something else, sometimes home gets boring and grass is greener elsewhere. Thats what made me leave. I have no regrets. If I was 25 again I would do it all over again too.

At home I value the freedom I have, my right to stand up for myself and speak out and our human rights. UK really is a fine place compared to many other places.
Posted by:
ukcharles
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 29 Oct 2008 13:14 GMT

Hi Charles

maybe you just ever found the ideal place to live abroad :D

Gozo comes close for me and quite a few others on the forum :drink:
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 29 Oct 2008 13:30 GMT

The trouble is that sometimes what you miss isn't the same any more when you go back.

We used to like Coronation Street, but when we were back in London in 2005 we found the programme had completely changed and we found the stories quite boring. Also, I'd been saying for years that if only someone would invent the transporter beam (you know, the thing they have in Star Trek) then I would love to have a weekend's shopping in Croydon.

Due to our temporary return to London, I got my wish of shopping in Croydon but very few of my favourite shops were still there! The wonderful family-run deli near Allder's had gone, the butcher's shop had disappeared, etc, etc. It was a big let down for me, especially as I'd been looking forward to it so much.

I'm quite happy in Thailand and wouldn't swap for living in the UK. Apart from anything else we simply couldn't afford to have the same comforts as we do here. It's not just about cost of living, though, I LIKE it here. The Thais are generally great people. The main downside here is the legal red-tape for various things.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 29 Oct 2008 16:24 GMT

Hi Charles,
Thanks for the post. I must say that it's refreshing to hear something positive about the UK for a change.

I'm glad you're happy with your move. I think it likely that I will follow your lead at some time in the future.

Personally, the longer I stay abroad, the more I appreciate what we have in the UK. Really, the weather is the only thing that has kept me away this long.

Where in Britain are you?

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby gozomark » Wed 29 Oct 2008 16:30 GMT

Hi Alan - I'm interested in your phraseology "what we have in the UK.", which suggests to me you consider the UK as your real home - I really think of Gozo as my home now, and even if things went badly here, the UK wouldn't be my automatic bolthole. I guess that's partly a function of being married to a non-UK citizen
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Wed 29 Oct 2008 18:59 GMT

I have to agree with Mark.

Home to me is where ever I am at the moment, always has been that way for me.

I have been here for nearly 7 years now, think apart from one instance that has been the longest I have ever lived in one place/country.

Spent 24 years moving around the world at HMs pleasure and cost, so I guess that has influenced the way I am to some extent.
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 29 Oct 2008 19:36 GMT

"Home" to me is where I live. Whatever country that happens to be. My house, my friends, and everything - that's home.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ukcharles » Sat 1 Nov 2008 12:42 GMT

Hi Allan and everyone else - I am up in Scotland living now.

Anyone who is new to expat life or craving one, will think I am crazy for wanting to come back here... I will say it again, we have a great country and have a lot to be proud about.

I lived in Perth at one point where the weather is glorious for half of the year and yet...I still prefer life in UK !!
Posted by:
ukcharles
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 1 Nov 2008 13:09 GMT

I married a Hong Kong woman and she loves UK also. We have 3 kids now and they are very happy with their new life in britain.

One of my cousins married a Thai woman and they live in Surrey (they have done for several years) because they felt they'd have a better life and more opportunities for their kids. We've gone in the opposite direction (no kids, though). I sometimes wish it were possible to do a swap of nationalities - I'd give his wife my British citizenship in return for her Thai nationality. Of course nothing is ever that simple.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 1 Nov 2008 19:32 GMT

Yes Mark. England will always be home to me. Part instinct, part patriotism, part simple choice really.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Sat 1 Nov 2008 19:46 GMT

Fair enough, Alan, but you don't seem to love your new country and its people as many of us do ours. :)

Even so, I've lived in some sh!t holes and still thought of them as "home", because that was where I lived, had a job, friends, my possessions etc.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Repatriation