Emigrating to Canada: Common immigration terms E-L

If you’re going to immigrate to Canada, you’ll have to wade through a sea of alphabet soup to get there! We’ve drawn together a set of the more common terms you might come across if you’re planning to emigrate to Canada.

  • e-CAS = Online status check for applications
  • FW = Foreign Worker Manual
  • GATS = General Agreement on Trade in Services, exempts some professionals from HRSDC approval for work permits
  • HRSDC = Human Resources and Social Development Canada (Service Canada, approve job offers to foreigners)
  • IA = Initial Approval (for apps done outside Canada)
  • IO = Immigration officer
  • IELTS = International English Language Testing System
  • IMM + numbers = refers to CIC applications and forms
  • Interpol = International Police
  • IP = Manual for inland processing
  • IRPA = Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (and its Regulations)
  • Landing = when you arrive in Canada with your visa/paperwork
  • LICO = Low Income Cut-off
  • LMO = Labour Market Opinion (means job approved for foreigner by HRSDC)
This entry was posted in Canada and tagged by Kay McMahon. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kay McMahon

Kay has been an expat for nearly 30 years. She set up the British Expat website back in early 2000, whilst living in London and missing the expat life. These days she spends much of her time lugging computers and cameras around the world. (Dave gets to deal with all the really heavy stuff.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *