Emigrating to Canada: Common immigration terms M-Z

If you’re going to immigrate to Canada, you’ll have to wade through a sea of alphabet soup to get there! We’ve drawn together a set of the more common terms you might come across if you’re planning to emigrate to Canada.

  • Medicals = When you are requested by CIC to submit Medical tests
  • MOC = Marriage of convenience
  • MP = Member of Parliament
  • NAFTA = Free Trade Agreement to allow certain US and Mexican Business people HRSDC approval exemption for work permits
  • NOC = National Occupation Code (Classifies your work experience, important in skilled worker applications)
  • Off Campus Work Permit = HRSDC approval not required for certain students to apply for a permit to work off campus
  • Open Work Permit = No fixed employer on permit
  • OP = Manual for overseas processing
  • PNP = Provincial Nominee Program (faster immigration for some provinces)
  • Post Grad Work Permit = Initiative to encourage foreign graduates of Canadian Universities to gain work permits without HRSDC approval
  • POE = Port of Entry (where you land)
  • PPR = Passport request
  • PR = Permanent Resident/Residence
  • PRC = Permanent Residency Card
This entry was posted in Canada and tagged by Kay McMahon. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kay McMahon

Kay has been an expat for nearly 30 years. She set up the British Expat website back in early 2000, whilst living in London and missing the expat life. These days she spends much of her time lugging computers and cameras around the world. (Dave gets to deal with all the really heavy stuff.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *