It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 07:01 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Events and making new friends

Childbirth in UAE?

Planning an event, or want to publicise a regular meeting of expats in your area? Please post the details here! (NB You may post dates and venues and details of the event. However, adverts for other websites will be deleted, whether or not they are commercial ventures. If you want an advert, we have various advertising opportunities. Thanks.)

Childbirth in UAE?

Postby Guest » Mon 23 Jun 2003 18:08 GMT

Hello,
my wife and I may be moving to UAE in the coming months. Currently we are trying to weigh all the pros and cons. One of the things that we would like to know is wheather UAE has decent medical care and particularly what the conditions for childbirth are. We would greatly appreciate it if someone could share their experiences...
One other question (just out of curiousity) is wether a child born in UAE becomes a citizen there.
Thanks!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:

Postby Audrey » Tue 24 Jun 2003 05:42 GMT

Hi and welcome to the board. To answer your queries the UAE has excellent private hospitals that most expats use, courtesy of insurance companies. I myself had an operation just over a year ago and the treatment I received was comparable to private hospitals here.They also have state of the art equipment available so any test you need is done straight away, no such thing as a waiting list. I've never had a baby there, but do know people who have and they have said again that the treatment was first rate.
As for citizenship, you have to register a birth with the Embassy of your home country within so many weeks and apply for a visa for the child (or to be added to your visa, not sure how it works). I do know for some of the lower paid classes (you have to earn over a certain amount to sponsor a family) that the wives have had to return home with the child soon after birth. So the answer to your question is no, they don't have UAE citizenship.
Hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to ask if you need further information.
Audrey
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Audrey
Free member

Postby Not-Lorna » Tue 24 Jun 2003 08:09 GMT

http://www.expatmum.com is a very good website. Check out 'I had a baby in....'
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

having a baby in the UAE

Postby Sandra » Tue 20 Jan 2004 07:00 GMT

I used to work as a midwife in the Al Corniche Hospital in Abu Dhabi. It is managed by a british company and staffed by British and Irish midwives mainly. The care you receive is comparable to that in the UK. I would have no hesitation to have a baby there. Good Luck! :D
Posted by:
Sandra

Postby Kay » Tue 20 Jan 2004 13:12 GMT

Hi Sandra

Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to join in the other boards. Pop in for a natter in Chinwags, and meet the rest of the gang.

Kay :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Events and making new friends