It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 12:11 GMT
Change font size

Events and making new friends

Family lifestyle in Dubai (with a dog)

Planning an event, or want to publicise a regular meeting of expats in your area? Please post the details here! (NB You may post dates and venues and details of the event. However, adverts for other websites will be deleted, whether or not they are commercial ventures. If you want an advert, we have various advertising opportunities. Thanks.)

Family lifestyle in Dubai (with a dog)

Postby SuperG » Tue 25 Jan 2011 06:33 GMT

Hello, we have been offered a move to Dubai with my husband's job but are not sure that the lifestyle is right for our family. We have 3 boys, ages 4 to 8, and a labrador. We're an outdoor family and love to walk and cycle especially. We're also keen runners. Can anyone help with what sort of activities might suit us in Dubai, and whether or not a large dog is practical. Where would we walk it?

Thanks!
:D
Posted by:
SuperG

Postby wed2brit » Wed 2 Mar 2011 04:59 GMT

Hiya, lotsa questions, so I'll do my best to answer them.

There is a growing community of dog lovers here. In fact a new dog park recently opened up in Jebel Ali (southern part of Dubai). In the summer months it can be excruciatingly hot here. I think between 40-45 degrees in the daytime. So of course it's tough for dogs. But there are plenty of people with all types of dogs. I have seen labs, alsatians and similar dogs. It is tough to be a dog owner here, the dog may not be off lead anywhere in public and generally speaking, some nationalities may not take well to them.

With your family size, you'll probably rent a villa and most of them come with decent sized gardens. Just make sure your landlord allows pets (get it in writing!!).

For your family, there are plenty of outdoor activities: desert and beach camping, parks, swimming at the beach, etc. Other than the hottest months (May to September), I think the weather is just fine for cycling. There are a couple of cycling clubs that organize rides in and out of the city.
Posted by:
wed2brit

Return to Events and making new friends