It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 07:37 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Housing/Property

New in Dubai; Accomodation and Transport questions

Where to find a place to live. Dealing with estate agents, lawyers, etc? Try here for info. NO ADVERTISING - property wanted or property to let adverts belong in our adverts section. Any property ads in here will be deleted. This forum is for discussing property-related issues.

New in Dubai; Accomodation and Transport questions

Postby N » Sat 8 Sep 2007 14:52 GMT

Hello!

I just joined this forum today and thought I would throw myself right into things and ask for some advice. I'm a journalist who's currently living in London and am moving to Dubai to work in a few weeks time.

I'm constantly thinking of new things I hadn't really thought of, so thought those who have been in the UAE for while might be able to offer some help, any advice is welcome!

Two things to start with; first I've been trying to look online to get a general idea of how to find accomodation and how much it will be. I've noticed that it seems to be quite normal to ask for a full year's rent in advance.

Is that the case? I won't be arriving with enough money to pay a whole year upfront, so that worries me a little. Does anyone have experience of this?

Also, I don't drive and I'm aware that the UAE doesen't really have a public transport network. My employers told me you can get around in taxi if you don't drive and it shouldn't be a problem. Any ideas how much taxis are, are they affordable? Don't want to spend my entire salary on getting around!

Grateful for any advice.

N
Posted by:
N

Postby rockinjockscot » Mon 10 Sep 2007 06:58 GMT

As regards the rent, the 'year in advance' is mostly only paid by companies who are renting for their employees. Most private rentals are 6 months in advance, with a few willing to go for 4 months.

Taxis are normally plentiful, with the exception of around 7 p.m. every day, and Friday lunchtimes. Having said that, you'll always find taxis outside hotels, malls, etc. They're extremely cheap in comparison to UK prices.

Cheers
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
rockinjockscot
Free member

Postby N » Mon 10 Sep 2007 13:34 GMT

Hello

Thanks for the reply, it's reassuring to know that I might not have to scrape together one year's rent at once and won't be end up on the street if I can't! Six months is still quite a lot compared to the UK, but it's definitely better than a year.

Goo to know that taxis are easy to get and cheap compared to the UK, if I stay for some time I will probably think about getting a drivers' licence but that would not be until after a while so it's good to know I shouldn't have any issues with taxis.

Do you, or anyone, know if there are buses you can take? I know Dubai doesn't really have much of a public tranpsort system, but I don't know if one does not exist at all, or if it's just not very comprehensive compared to most major cities in Europe, for example

N
Posted by:
N

Postby rockinjockscot » Wed 12 Sep 2007 06:22 GMT

Yes, there are buses - but. The 'stratification' of Dubai's poulation means in effect that you'll never see a western expat on a bus (at least I never have). I don't want to sound racist here, but it's an unfortunate fact of Dubai life that 'certain sections' of the populace are not on very good terms with soap and water - and they travel by bus.

Believe me, even at this time of year, you do not want to spend any more time outside than necessary. The temperature is still around 40C, and queing for a bus would not be a pleasant experience. Just to give you an idea of the taxi prices (if you've got access to a map of Dubai), I live in Al Barsha (inland from Mall of the Emirates), and a taxi to the Fairmont Hotel on Sheikh Zayed Road is less than 4 quid.

Cheers
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
rockinjockscot
Free member

Return to Housing/Property