It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 14:17 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Housing/Property

Thinking of Career in UAE

Where to find a place to live. Dealing with estate agents, lawyers, etc? Try here for info. NO ADVERTISING - property wanted or property to let adverts belong in our adverts section. Any property ads in here will be deleted. This forum is for discussing property-related issues.

Thinking of Career in UAE

Postby Sailor Al » Fri 5 Sep 2008 16:25 GMT

Hi Folks

I am contemplating taking up a position in Abu Dhabi but trying to find out a bit more about it. Generally would like to know how "westernised" it is? For example are women allowed to drive? can you drink alcohol? is there much of a dress code? what are the down sides and upsides of living out there.

Thanks

Al
Posted by:
Sailor Al

Postby veralynn2 » Sun 7 Sep 2008 07:27 GMT

Hi Al
Yes it's westernised as in you can get a McDonalds and a Starbucks (and to answer your specific qs - yes women can drive, yes you can drink alcohol, no there's not much of a dress code) but it's different as in it is still an Islamic state and you can get put in prison for having sex on a beach (sure you've read all about that in the press) or even for giving someone who's just cut you up the finger (for example).
But before you even start considering your position you need to find out what your housing situation will be, because if your company doesn't provide it you will find it very difficult to find anywhere to live at the moment. All housing is at a premium and prices are rising daily. Also, you don't mention if you are single or have a family, but if it's the latter school places are also at a premium.
If housing is no problem then come! It's fun! Lots of upsides, very few downsides. VL
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
veralynn2
Free member

Postby Sailor Al » Sun 7 Sep 2008 19:51 GMT

Hi VL

Many thanks and food for thought. I will try and control myself on the beach! I am married with 2 kids but they are both in boarding school in the UK and I plan to keep them in UK education. Regarding housing, company will pay fo housing upto a limit but not sur eif they will fid one for me. I note from one of your other replies landlords demand a years's rent as deposit!! Do you know what is the current average rental for a 4 bedroom house? What is the cost of living like compared to the UK?

Thanks
Posted by:
Sailor Al

Postby veralynn2 » Mon 8 Sep 2008 06:01 GMT

Hi Al
Find out what your housing allowance would be. The year's rent in advance isn't exactly a deposit it's just that unlike the UK where you pay your rent monthly here you pay it yearly. It's a right pain because that of course means you have to stay in that place for at least a year.
Whatever price I tell you for a 4-bed will be out of date by the time you get here! But at the mo you would need a minimum of Dhs300,000 per year. You will have to get your company to agree to pay hotel/residence costs while you look as it could take a while.
As long as housing is sorted the cost of living is pretty good, though prices are rising. Petrol is about a quarter of the price it is in the UK. Daily shopping...well to be honest I'm not one of those who pays much attention to prices but overall it's probably pretty similar. It depends on what you like to eat - if it's imported Birds Eye frozen fish fingers it's expensive, if it's locally caught fresh fish it's cheap. Anyway, it's tax free of course so it's no compare to the UK!
Glad to hear you're planning on keeping your beach activities restricted to sunbathing!! VL
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
veralynn2
Free member

Return to Housing/Property