It is currently Mon 16 Dec 2019 12:13 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in the UAE

How easy is it to move to the UAE?

Here's where to talk about working in the Emirates. NO ADVERTISING - jobs wanted and all employment-related adverts will be deleted. These belong in our adverts section. This forum is for discussing work-related issues.

How easy is it to move to the UAE?

Postby wings149 » Sat 19 Jan 2008 13:23 GMT

Hi My name is Kevin and I am 26 years old. I work as a Fraud Manager in London and am now reviewing my options as to where best to live. I love England but feel that I have out grown the country and now sure I like what it is becoming.
I looked at the possibility of moving to Australia but because my Occupation is not on the skilled occupations list it means I dont have a chance of gaining entry into there no matter how much I try.
I like the idea of maybe living in the UAE and not sure how easy it is to satisfy immigration laws.
If anyone knows then please help, or if you know of any country that is easy to move to then please also let me know so I can consider everything.
Would really appreciate any help that anyone is able to give to me.
All the best, Kev
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
wings149
Free member

Postby veralynn » Sun 20 Jan 2008 04:44 GMT

Hi Kevin
Immigration laws are of no concern. Moving to the UAE is easy, but only if you have a job here. There are lots of banks out here including western ones like Standard Chartered and HSBC so you may have a chance. (I'm assuming you work for a bank?) You could also come here on spec on a visit visa (you just get a stamp in your passport when you arrive which allows you to stay in the country for 3 months) and try and get work once you're here, but unless you've got a friend you could stay with it would be very expensive to stay in a hotel while you wait for the right job to come along. So your best best would be to get a job here first.
Once you have a job offer the company are responsible for your visa and getting you out here. (I.e., they pay to move all your stuff out here, or they give you a furniture allowance to set you up once you're here.) The average expat package also provides housing, health insurance, one flight home a year, as well as being tax-free of course!
So, you'd better get job-hunting! Good luck! Vera
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
veralynn
Free member

Postby wings149 » Sun 20 Jan 2008 11:15 GMT

Hi Vera,

Thank you so much for your advice, that really really helps me to think of my options. I havr discussed this with my wife and we feel quite excited at the prospect. I think that I would be able to apply very easily to the banks in the UAE and I think that getting a job offer first is an excellent suggestion as at least we would be arriving with some kind of security. I will have a look over the next few days at advertised jobs and a little more about the areas to live and see where we go from there. Once again Vera thank you very much it certainly has created a spark.

All the best
Kev
Posted by:
wings149
Free member

Postby veralynn » Mon 21 Jan 2008 04:15 GMT

Hi Kev, no problem - glad it's created some interest. Getting a job first is definitely the way to go - very few (western) people come here on spec unless they happen to be here on holiday anyway.
What areas are you thinking of, or will it just depend on the job that comes up? I live in Abu Dhabi so can certainly help if you have any questions about living there.
Good luck with the job hunt!
Vera
Posted by:
veralynn
Free member

Postby wings149 » Mon 21 Jan 2008 19:04 GMT

Hi Vera,

Thank you so much again for your offer of help thats really nice of you and is very much appreciated. I dont really know where I would like to go, I have 2 children under 5 so as long as its clean and safe is all that really worries me. The middle east has always appealed to me, I have already looked at some jobs in the area today and was surprised by the amount of finance jobs there are. I will look into it a little more, thank you once again for your help regarding answering more questions I'm sure I will have a few thats really ncie of you,
I will let you know how I get on :-)
All the best Vera

Kev
Posted by:
wings149
Free member

Postby veralynn » Tue 22 Jan 2008 04:42 GMT

Hi Kev
The UAE is really safe, so that's not an issue. Clean? Well, yeah it is kind of! Abu Dhabi for example has legions of street cleaners, but once you cut through the 5-star facade and get out into the back streets it's not so spotless! (Not that this would effect your day-to-day life - I'm just trying to give you an accurate picture of what it's like here!)
OK, so as you've got kids I believe that will limit you to Abu Dhabi or Dubai, because as far as I know the other emirates don't have British schools (because they're much, much smaller, middle-of-nowhere type places - so there are probably no jobs in the smaller emirates anyway!). School places are an issue here, so if your kids are of school age (or soon will be) you should get their names down as soon as you think you're coming here, and this is something that would be worthwhile talking to any future employer about.
Glad to hear there are lots of jobs for you to apply for!
Yes - keep me informed!
Vera.
Posted by:
veralynn
Free member

Postby veralynn » Tue 22 Jan 2008 04:45 GMT

And I should have mentioned that you should also check that any future employer will pay the school fees (or a substantial part of them). It is fairly standard here but definitely something to get confirmed.
V
Posted by:
veralynn
Free member

Postby wings149 » Tue 22 Jan 2008 19:10 GMT

Thats a excellent bonus if we can get it, and no I wouldnt have thought of looking at that as an extra. thanks again, I think I have loads to look into. lol this weekend will involve me and my pc, lol thanks again
Posted by:
wings149
Free member

Return to Working in the UAE