It is currently Wed 11 Dec 2019 21:53 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in the UAE

Hypo Tax and COLA??

Here's where to talk about working in the Emirates. NO ADVERTISING - jobs wanted and all employment-related adverts will be deleted. These belong in our adverts section. This forum is for discussing work-related issues.

Hypo Tax and COLA??

Postby waseq » Wed 3 Dec 2008 20:42 GMT

Hi,

I am considering a long term secondment for 2 years via my current company. I am awaiting package details but have been told that Iwill have to pay a hypo tax and may or may not receive COLA (Cost of living Adjustment).
If my company says that on a lts I should not be better or worse than I am in the UK and they deductthe hypo tax why is not possible to claim this back from HMRC?
I realise I may get other advantages in my package but can anyone shed any light on similar experiences they may have had?

Also based on your experience what are the reasonable items that should be considered in a expat package to this area? Housing and education I know but what other things had you wished you covered but did not know about?

any help is appreciated....
Posted by:
waseq

Return to Working in the UAE