It is currently Tue 10 Dec 2019 21:07 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in the UAE

Moving to UAE

Here's where to talk about working in the Emirates. NO ADVERTISING - jobs wanted and all employment-related adverts will be deleted. These belong in our adverts section. This forum is for discussing work-related issues.

Moving to UAE

Postby nickyogilvie » Sat 17 Jan 2009 21:19 GMT

Hi there. Myself and my husband are looking at the possibility of moving to UAE. We have been there on two occasions on oliday and loved it. We have two young children and really want to know what it is like to live out there. A few questions. Is it a good place to live with children? Where is the best place to work and life out there? My husband is a CAD Operater/Draftsperson, is there plenty of work out there.

Many thanks for reading this and answering anything you can to help. :?
Posted by:
nickyogilvie

Postby jono » Mon 16 Feb 2009 17:42 GMT

Like the rest of the world, UAE is slowing economically - jobs are harder to find and some people are losing theirs. The quality of life depends on having a reasonable salary, but generally, it is high for western expats. Schooling is not cheap, but the weather makes for an excellent lifestyle particularly if you are near a beach. Dubai is more lively/busier than Abu Dhabi, but AD has more wealth, and more money to invest in oil, construction etc. and hence jobs; some people enjoy the relative quiet and lower costs of Sharjah (which is dry). Try getting hold of a copy of the Gulf News or google "jobs in UAE" to see what's available. Good luck!
Posted by:
jono

Return to Working in the UAE