Medications in Dubai

Try here for info on health and medical issues.

Medications in Dubai

Postby Catharine » Thu 23 Feb 2006 22:02

Hi, My husband and I are moving to Dubai within the next few months. We both take prescription Medication.

How expensive are medications in Dubai? I read somewhere if we get some form of residency that health care may become less expensive.

Is temporary residency hard to obtain? My husband has a 12 month contract with a construction company, but I think that it will be extended to 3 years.

I also read that we can take up to 3 months worth of medication into the country.

We are moving to Dubai mainly to save money (not the only reason, but a very attractive one)! Not sure if it is worth it if we have to shell out a fortune for medication.
Catharine

Postby Jessica Jordan » Sat 08 Nov 2008 02:27

I have epilepsy so need to take prescription medication too. I pay 723 AED for one of my drugs and 1020 for the other for a month's supply. I get all this money back from our health insurance but you will need to have a letter from your doctor to confirm that you need these drugs. I have a letter from my previous UK doctor and just attach a photocopy of this every time a claim and this seems to be fine. The pharmacies will sell you the drugs over the counter so a presciption is not necessary however sometimes it seems that Dubai in general run out of certain medications so it is normally best to buy some stock when they have it rather than rely on it being available when you need it.

CB
Jessica Jordan

Postby veralynn2 » Sun 09 Nov 2008 04:23

I don't understand why you are worried about 'temporary residence'. If you husband has a job lined up his company have to sponsor him and he can then sponsor you. It can take a while to sort out but they should have someone to help and it's not a big deal. You will arrive into the country on a visit visa and the company will then get it changed to a residence visa. As far as I know there's no such thing as temporary residence.
I'm pretty sure your husband's company will also have to provide health insurance, it will then depend on that insurance policy as to whether you can or can't claim the money back that you spend on your prescriptions.
veralynn2
Free member

Return to Health and Medical