HELP! Caught driving without a licence. Punishment?

All questions relating to cars and driving in the UAE go here. NO ADVERTISING - cars wanted and for sale adverts belong in the adverts section.

HELP! Caught driving without a licence. Punishment?

Postby userNick » Sat 12 Aug 2006 23:05

Hello.

I got a problem. My parents went on a holiday for two weeks and i'm in the country alone. (I'm 19)
Anyway, i needed some means to get around from place to place so i borrowed my parents car, despite the fact that i have no licence yet. I'm learning to drive in a school and all, took loads of lessons on a manual car, so i really can handle an automatic, and i'm driving carefully anyway.
BUT: on my first trip out, a taxi crashes into me. Into the rear. Not really my fault, but it's troublesome nonetheless as you would presume.
The police took me in but released when i gave them my passport. After a week i have to face the court and i would like to know what punishment do i face?
I heared it's a fine and the car being taken away. Is that it? How much is the fine? For how long will the vehicle be impounded?

And also: who pays for the damage to the vehicles? The taxi driver refused to accept that it is his fault, although he clearly crashed into me from behind when i stopped on the red light (he even decided to lie and said that i stopped too late and then back-up into him). I know that no one will pay for the damage on my car, i acept it, what about his (his front is BADLY damaged and looks like 4000 to 9000 worth of repairs) ? Suppose the court finds me to be the cause of the accident... And suppose it doesn't. What would i face in each case?

Advice would be very apprecioated. thanks in advance.
I have until Saturday.
userNick

Postby Dave » Sun 13 Aug 2006 07:40

Ouch! Tricky one.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with UAE laws. But a good first place to start would be your Consulate. Even if they can't give you comprehensive information about what the penalties might be, they should be able to point you in the direction of someone who can. In any case, it's as well to let them know about it, so that they can help if anything goes badly wrong later in the process (fingers crossed that it doesn't, but it's as well to plan ahead).

As you point out, the criminal charge and the civil case are separate issues (though the criminal charge may well affect how blame is apportioned in the civil case). I imagine that they would be handled by separate courts, but the Consulate may be able to advise. In any event, it sounds as if you'll need a lawyer.

Best of luck with it, anyway.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Cars/Driving in the UAE