expat living in St Lucia

expat living in St Lucia

Postby lottie375 » Wed 10 Oct 2007 12:12

Hey all.
Seems like there hasn't been much going on here for a good while now.

I noticed a few posts from people that were looking to move here, just wondered whether they did and if they fancy meeting up at some point somewhere! Either PM me or reply to this thread

Ciao

Lottie
lottie375
Free member

Postby pguk » Fri 02 Nov 2007 13:01

Hi Lottie375, I know a couple of people who have moved to St Lucia recently.
What part of the island are you on and how long have you been there now ?
pguk

Postby lottie375 » Fri 02 Nov 2007 13:05

hi pguk,
I live near choiseul village and have been here since June last year.
lottie375
Free member

Postby pguk » Tue 13 Nov 2007 18:07

Hi lottie,

How is life is choiseul ?

Do you work on the island and have you met any other brits ?
pguk

Postby lottie375 » Wed 14 Nov 2007 12:27

Hi pguk,
life is good in Choiseul.

I'm looking for work at the moment and hopefully should have an interview for a job soon (fingers crossed).

I've met a couple of expat-brits just to chat to in passing.
lottie375
Free member

Moving to St Lucia

Postby Rum Runner » Thu 20 Mar 2008 19:09

Hi
I'm planning on moving to St Lucia in a few months' time and am looking for advice regarding health insurance...and any other tips and guidance, really. We know the island well having lived there short term a few years ago and been frequent visitors since. However, moving over their on a permanent basis obviously has a slightly different complexion, not least as I have a 2 year old child. Any tips, and advice, particularly on health insurance, would be gratefully received!! Thanks. :D
Rum Runner

Postby lottie375 » Thu 20 Mar 2008 19:26

Hi Rum Runner,
As for Health Insurance - it's medicare over here. I dont' think there are that many around on the island. There is one - [Advert deleted - please read our posting guidelines. Kay]

I've got a policy with them, which is about EC$2000 per year - this is a single person including eye tests and dental as well - think along the lines of BUPA plans - you have to pay the money for the medical first, get the doctor/whomever to fill out a document, then you can claim the money back.

HTH, any other queries, just shout.

Lottie
lottie375
Free member

Postby Rum Runner » Thu 20 Mar 2008 21:13

Hi Lottie - Thanks very much for that info. I've emailed them for a quote for the family. I don't suppose you know about import duty on cars?? The story seems to vary so much. I understand that you can't import anything over 4 yrs old, and that there's a sliding scale of duty payable on used vehicles....I'm going to contact customs and immigration to get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, but was wondering if you knew about this at all??? Thanks again for your help, and again, anything else that you think would be helpful for us to bear in mind, I would love to hear about!
Rum Runner

Postby lottie375 » Thu 20 Mar 2008 21:18

I think with importing cars, there is an issue that the car has to be a certain number of years old and also that you can't sell it within a certain time period once you arrive on the island (might be something like 3 years) - also take note that if it's not Japanese (i.e. toyota, mitsubushi, mazda which are more common on the island) you might be hard pressed to find parts on the island and if you need something obsure thats unique to your car, you may have to look at either the USA or the UK to order the part and get it shipped (shipping fees are expensive as well).

I don't know about the duty on importing a car, but I know that if you are classed as a returnee (i.e. St Lucian by birth and returning to reside in the country) there are duty-free allowances. But that's as much as I know.

You might also want to take into serious consideration whether its worth the hassle and money of exporting a car over here. As you may have seen from the road conditions that they aren't exactly good for cars - moreso if you go off the beaten track and a jeep is better value for money.

I brought a second hand Terios jeep thats 8 years old for EC$20K (about £4k). 2 year old jeeps and trucks over here start from EC$60,000.

Car insurance isn't that bad nor expensive over here either.

What are you doing about housing? are you going to be renting or buying or building your own?? Have you thought about the area that you are thinking of living in?

HTH

Lottie
lottie375
Free member

Postby Rum Runner » Fri 21 Mar 2008 10:32

Hi
Thanks for all that. Totally get what you're saying about Japanese cars and spare parts. My husband used to be a mechanic and yacht engineer, so is pretty focussed on the automotive mechanical side of things....we've actually just returned from three weeks in SLU and couldn't believe the number of Suzuki Vitaras on the road. Also, how the general standard of vehicle has improved drastically over the last 15 months when we were last out. I guess that has partly been helped by the vast improvement in roads that were fixed for the cricket, particularly the road up from the airport. What a difference!!
Sounds like you got a good deal on your Terios - that's definitely the sort of thing that we'd be looking for. I agree that exporting would probably be a) too costly and b) a pain. A shame as we have two Vitaras in great nick here!! And you never quite know what you're getting out there...and they have a hard life, as you say!
We're planning on living in the north of the island, around Rodney Bay as we're involved with boats. Our house is on the market here and so what happens with that will largely dictate our next move. In an ideal world, we'll sell here and move out asap, rent for as long as it takes until we find something to buy. We've viewed more properties than I care to think about, but until we have the $$$ in the bank, can't be a serious contender for buying. If it doesn't sell, and given the financial global meltdown that sadly might be a very real outcome 8) , then we'll rent the house here and rent out there. All in the lap of the Gods at the mo...
Are you a returning national?? If not, how have you sorted out the Visa issue??
Thanks for all your help!
Rum Runner

Postby lottie375 » Fri 21 Mar 2008 14:46

Rodney Bay is a nice area - especially the mall!!! :)

As for the visa - my mum and step dad came out here three years ago (my step-dad is a Lucian). my mum got citizienship as they were married, I had to go back to immigration for a year to get a new stamp in my passport to say that i was allowed to stay in the island, due to being under my parents guardianship (i'm over 30!!!!).

I had a scary moment back in July last year where they couldn't extend my stay past 12 months and said that i'd have to go back to the UK for 3 months then I would be allowed to come back - but we managed to get it sorted out and i'm now in the process of getting my temporary residency. I've also got my work permit, so now dont have to go back to immigration for a year :D :D :D

I think if a non-national buys a house, you can apply to the Ministry of Home Affairs for an Alien-Land holding licence. I don't know how this relates to having a visa.

If you want, I can find the numbers for immigration and the Ministry of Home Affairs, so you can find out - straight from the horses mouth??

Let me know.

Lottie
lottie375
Free member

Postby CsharpM » Mon 24 Mar 2008 16:33

Hi everyone,

I'm moving out to St. Lucia next month. I'm from Canada, though, hope that's ok around here :)

Lottie, just wondering if you would be able to PM the medicare company info. I would be most appreciative. I'm not allowed to PM I guess because I'm new?

We're going to be in Laborie to start out with so I guess we'll be neighbours :wink:

Thanks!
CsharpM

Postby lottie375 » Mon 24 Mar 2008 17:10

hi CsharpM, I cant PM you either :( - saying that it's only available to regular members :S

A brief outline of the medicare information for Sagicor is on their website. Checkout the following link.
[Link removed - please read our guidelines]
They have an office in Vieux Fort (just down New Dock Road).

Let me know when you get over here and maybe we can meet up and have a drink!

P.s. The bar attached to my parents guesthouse will be opening from this Friday, so be sure to come on down and have a Pina Colada (or two!) once you've found your feet...and that goes for anyone else on here thats around the area...just PM (if you can) me and i'll give you directions
lottie375
Free member

Postby CsharpM » Mon 24 Mar 2008 18:51

Thanks very much Lottie. I look forward to meeting you!
CsharpM

Postby CsharpM » Sun 06 Apr 2008 18:28

Hey Lottie!

Come over [Link removed - please read our guidelines]here so I can PM you my address.

Getting stressed about that move, so need to arrange for drinks :)
CsharpM

Next

Return to Caribbean Islands