It is currently Thu 18 Oct 2018 02:23 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Ghana – Quick Quiz
    The cradle of the Ashanti Empire and known to mediaeval European explorers as the Gold Coast, Ghana was the first country in Western Africa to achieve independence. But how much do you know about it?

Mexico

New "kid" on the block

New "kid" on the block

Postby rmallay » Thu 16 Apr 2009 00:16 GMT

Hi folks,
Roger here, originally from Sheffield but lived on the south coast - Brighton and finally Bournemouth - for the past 35 years. Worked at the University of Southampton from '87, retired in Dec. 2006 and now living much of the year in our home in Puerto Vallarta. Return to Bournemouth for bangers and mash - chorizo just isn't the same is it? - and pork pie.
Posted by:
rmallay

Postby Kay » Thu 16 Apr 2009 05:54 GMT

Hello Roger

Welcome to the forum. Good of you to drop in and introduce yourself. Our Mexico board isn't very busy - although you could change that if you wanted to. :twisted:

We have a friendly bunch of people from all over the world on our main forum so, if you're interested in making new friends, please do join us over there.
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... /index.php

Love your comment about chorizo! I miss Arbroath smokies - yes, sea bass with pepper and garlic is lovely, but it just ain't the same. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby rmallay » Fri 17 Apr 2009 13:41 GMT

Hi Kay - I's forgotten about Arbroath Smokies, also one of my favourites - my other half is from Edinburgh, and we usually go out to Dunbar for fresh fish of one sort or another when we're up visiting family there. Got me salivating now !!
Roger
Posted by:
rmallay

Postby Kay » Sat 18 Apr 2009 08:17 GMT

I keep meaning to get a smoker built so we can try to recreate something similar with other types of white fish. I also tried tea-smoking a fish in a Le Creuset double boiler, but it didn't work very well. Must try harder!

Is food in Mexico anything like what we think of as being Mexican food? Certainly, when we lived in India, we found that the real Indian food was nothing like what you'd get in a British curry house.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby rmallay » Sat 18 Apr 2009 22:04 GMT

There are two Mexican restaurants I can think of in Bournemouth and neither can remotely be said to serve genuine mex food. For a start, one is run by Iranians (!) and the other by Indians, so they doesn't stand a chance of being called authentic ! (mind you, they are usually filled with students from Bournemouth University, and let's face it, students will eat just about anything, particularly if there's alcohol available too!!) Another reason they blur the lines of credibility is that they serve a "mexican" beer called Desperado, which has a shot of tequila already in it - BUT it's brewed in France !!
Posted by:
rmallay

Return to Mexico