It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:41 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

£148 million lottery win

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

£148 million lottery win

Postby Kay » Sat 11 Aug 2012 19:03 GMT

According to the BBC, someone (or maybe a syndicate) just won £148m on the lottery.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19099777

I wish it was us. I'd be happy with even a fraction of that amount. 8-)

Ah well, there are plenty of people worse off than us. But even one million would make a lot of difference. £148m is an an awful lot for any ordinary person to cope with.

When I was a kid, there was a big pools winner in the street. The husband was snapped up by a gold-digging woman, and the wife ended up being lonely and saying it was the worst thing that ever happened to them. :cry:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Sat 11 Aug 2012 23:15 GMT

So if you won that sort of money what would you do about the begging letters?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Sun 12 Aug 2012 06:18 GMT

I'd have a PA to filter my mail.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Sun 12 Aug 2012 07:32 GMT

If I won I'd probably stop sending them.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Sun 12 Aug 2012 08:35 GMT

:crackup: Groan!
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun 12 Aug 2012 17:22 GMT

Nice :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 23 Aug 2012 07:54 GMT

If I won a decent prize in a lottery or something, I'd:

- clear my debts (all of them in the very unlikely event of a win of the order of a million, some of them if it's only a thousand or so)
- set up a trust for surviving spouse, children and grandchildren
- use a small part to try to make a proper job of setting up a business (after all, I should have time to devote to it...)
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 23 Aug 2012 10:47 GMT

I'd live on a small island in the Med, and help dogs (and the occasional cat) :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 23 Aug 2012 14:46 GMT

If I had millions, I'd buy a minibus and hire a full-time driver. I'd also hire a private jet if I wanted to go anywhere.

I'd probably be happy enough staying in the same house and would most likely keep Dave. But I'd hire more staff to do things because I'd not want to give up the Internet game. That's not just about making money, it's a challenge and a lot of fun too.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 7 Sep 2012 08:28 GMT

Just been reading International Herald Tribune's special supplement on hand made watches. Even if I had 148 million, I wouldn't be interested in a mechanical movement watch with a jade face (or even a case, for some of them) surrounded with 4 carats of small diamonds - targeted at the new rich Chinese. If I were likely to find myself among the people who buy such things, I might be tempted to get someone to build me one with electronic innards and a case & face made of green high impact polyethylene - so that I could drop it on the floor and watch everyone gasp. (Jade is very brittle, totally unsuitable for making watch faces and cases).
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Chinwags