It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 20:14 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

My kingdom for a car?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

My kingdom for a car?

Postby Dave » Sat 8 Sep 2012 11:50 GMT

Apparently some very dedicated historians have been hunting the possible burial place of Richard III of England's bones - buried in Leicester after the Battle of Bosworth ("My kingdom for a horse!") but lost in the destruction of the monasteries in the Reformation, and reputed to have been tipped into the River Soar.

It sounds as if they may be well on the right track:

BBC Leicester: Richard III dig: How search reached Leicester car park

An intriguing story - particularly how they managed to find a direct matrilineal descendant of the House of York. Well worth looking at if you've got even the slightest interest in history.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 12 Sep 2012 15:01 GMT

Yes, I saw that. Fascinating story. Be interesting to see what happens next.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Mon 4 Feb 2013 14:16 GMT

They've found him!

BBC Leicestershire: Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's

Not only that, but they've established that he did have a curved spine - though leading him to have one shoulder higher than the other, not a hunchback. And some time soon they should be able to come up with a reasonably accurate image of what he looked like.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Mon 4 Feb 2013 14:47 GMT

A curved spine and one shoulder higher than the other is quite common nowadays - a sign of spending too much time hunched in an office chair in front of a computer with one hand resting on the mouse. I presume that wasn't the cause of Richard III's condition?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Dave » Tue 5 Feb 2013 12:01 GMT

:lol:

They've published the reconstructed face now. I have to say that the first person it reminded me of was Liz Smith!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags