It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:21 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Boris in Delhi

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Boris in Delhi

Postby Dave » Sun 25 Nov 2012 17:32 GMT

Boris "Cripes" Johnson is touring India at the moment:

London Mayor Boris Johnson begins six-day India tour

I had to laugh at the news that one local thought he was Boris Becker. Easy mistake to make. Both play tennis, both famous for their hair, both embarrassed publicly over sexual indiscretions... :crackup:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 26 Nov 2012 08:02 GMT

Hilarious! Good find, Dave. :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon 26 Nov 2012 15:00 GMT

I must be a bit of a doofus but we don't hear about 'Boris' over here in Canada. Why would a Mayor be gallivanting about on a trade mission to India?
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 26 Nov 2012 16:01 GMT

Boris is a very flamboyant and often funny character. He's a great guest on some UK comedy programmes.

There's a lot of rumours and speculation that he wants to be Britain's next Prime Minister. I think it's OK to have a flamboyant mayor but somehow Boris doesn't quite seem like PM material to me.

You can read more about him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon 26 Nov 2012 17:00 GMT

Graeme wrote:Why would a Mayor be gallivanting about on a trade mission to India?

Good question. The Lord Mayor of the City of London regularly gallivants around in that way, but by convention a major part of his duties is the promotion of Britain's financial sector overseas. Boris, as the Mayor of (Greater) London, has a fairly ill-defined role - and if Private Eye is to be believed, he seems to be using it to the full to try to promote himself as a Prime Minister-in-waiting. I think this is just an instance of him pushing the boundaries of his role a bit further.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags