It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:35 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Newsletter editorial, Nov '12: Pewterers and pattenmakers

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Newsletter editorial, Nov '12: Pewterers and pattenmakers

Postby Dave » Fri 30 Nov 2012 14:24 GMT

In this month's editorial we looked at the City of London's Livery Companies - their roots in the mediaeval guilds, their development in the early modern era and the foundation of new companies in recent decades to reflect the trades plied in today's City.

Is there anything like the guild system where you are in the world? Why not write and tell us about it? :-D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat 1 Dec 2012 03:20 GMT

Many years ago when I was a police officer in the City of London I had the good fortune to visit several of the guildhalls, including The Guildhall in the City. The Fishmonger's Hall was very impressive and was where the 'Coming Out' Ball for the new debutantes was held. That was always an interesting sight seeing these young ladies flouncing around in their huge gowns. The Silversmith's and the Cordwainer's Halls were also very impressive. The Goldsmith's was sumptuous indeed. It always seemed a bit of a shame to me that even though these halls are open to the public at certain times few, if any, went to visit and look at the amazing history associated with the professions and halls. I think in retrospect I prefer the guild system to its successor, the unions, but I'm sure they both have their place. Nice article.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 1 Dec 2012 03:56 GMT

Thanks, Graeme. :-) It was a fascinating subject to research, and we could easily have written loads more. I'm only sorry I never visited any of the guildhalls when living in London, because they sound well worth it.

The old story - you never go and visit the tourist attractions of the place you live in. That said, Kay and I did go and see most of the places in both Dhaka and Delhi when we were there - though admittedly that wasn't hard in Dhaka because most old buildings simply haven't lasted.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 1 Dec 2012 08:33 GMT

Thanks, Graeme. That's very interesting. It's not something I'd even thought of until recently. Dave and I were talking about the print industry and how it had evolved. We wondered if the job of compositor had become totally obsolete and in any case what did the job entail.

And then one thing led to another and I stumbled across some interesting info about the Guilds and it seemed like a good subject for the email newsletter.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags