It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:37 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Sir Patrick Moore RIP

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Sir Patrick Moore RIP

Postby Dave » Sun 9 Dec 2012 17:03 GMT

Just seen the very sad news on the BBC website that Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89.

What a character, and what an astronomer. And, indeed, what a broadcaster - 55 years presenting the same monthly programme, The Sky At Night, with just one interruption when he had salmonella poisoning in 2004.

I didn't care for his politics (UKIP), but there was so much else about him that was admirable or lovable (xylophone playing, for instance) that somehow it didn't matter. I'm sorry he's gone.

Great quotation from Brian May:
Patrick is irreplaceable. There will never be another Patrick Moore. But we were lucky enough to get one.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon 10 Dec 2012 14:57 GMT

Fascinating fellow, he had a great life though.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 10 Dec 2012 16:56 GMT

Amazing guy. He's probably the only astronomer I could name.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags