It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 06:31 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Population figures

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Population figures

Postby Kay » Sat 23 Feb 2013 10:27 GMT

Here's an interesting tool on the BBC website. You enter your date of birth and see where you are in terms of population growth.

I'm not exactly a spring chicken but even so it was quite surprising to see how many people had been born after me.

Try it and see where you fit in.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15391515
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat 23 Feb 2013 17:10 GMT

Interesting population curve. I see Japan is on track to decrease its population by a third in the next 50 years and many of the more 'advanced' countries have a stagnant population growth. It must be all those horny third world people driving the numbers up so much :shock: :lol:
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 23 Feb 2013 17:49 GMT

LOL, Graeme. I'm never quite sure exactly why they do breed so much. It could be lack of education and not knowing any better. It could be to make sure they have someone to look after them in their old age. It could be because there's a higher chance of their offspring dying so by breeding more they increase the probability of one or more surviving. Also having more children, although they need to be fed, is a source of cheap labour.

I dunno, it's probably just because they've never even thought about it.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 23 Feb 2013 17:55 GMT

There's a definite negative correlation between levels of education/economic development and birth rates. I'm not sure where the causality comes into it, but I'd guess that the development improvement precedes the drop in birth rate and not vice versa.

Cultural norms and religious proscriptions against contraception play a role too, of course.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Mon 25 Feb 2013 10:47 GMT

I think Kay and Dave cover the main factors - care in old age, child mortality and contraception. Interesting to see that in Malta, or Gozo at any rate, in the last generation the average number of children has dropped from seven or more to just two or three.

A scary number on that BBC site is that the population of the UK is growing faster from immigration (23 per hour) than from births (85-66=19 per hour)! Property should be getting cheap in Moldova though, the fastest shrinking country at -106 per day.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Dave » Mon 25 Feb 2013 15:32 GMT

JJ wrote:A scary number on that BBC site is that the population of the UK is growing faster from immigration (23 per hour) than from births (85-66=19 per hour)!

Scary? Or just plain baffling? :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags