It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 12:17 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Stealing from hotel rooms

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Stealing from hotel rooms

Postby Kay » Mon 12 Aug 2013 05:25 GMT

Here's an interesting article in the Telegraph about what people steal from hotel rooms.

I usually take the toiletries. They're consumables, after all, and I'd considered that they were mine to use as I wish. It never even occurred to me that it might be considered to be stealing.

If slippers are provided, I might take them. They issue fresh slippers to each guest. Don't they? I hope so!

On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of stealing any of the room amenities or linens. As for people turning up their noses at pre-used bathrobes, I think that's just daft. I'd no more expect a brand new bathrobe than I'd expect brand new sheets. Freshly laundered is perfectly acceptable.

How about you? What would you consider to be yours for the taking and what do you consider to be theft?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon 12 Aug 2013 06:38 GMT

I agree with Kay and the article. Leaving the minibar aside as an obvious exception, consumables such as toiletries and stationery are there for the taking - after all, they display the hotel's logo and are a form of advertising. I'd hesitate to go as far as raiding the housekeeping trolley, although if the cleaner chooses to respond to my request for replacement toiletries by shoving four times as much as I need into my hands, I'm not going to complain either.

I agree also that slippers are probably OK. I think they must be fresh each time - any time I've tried to put a pair through the wash, they've always come out a bit misshapen.

Anything else is a no-no, especially if it's obviously intended for multiple reuse. That includes appliances, bed and bath linen, soft furnishings and the hotel's printed materials (such as menus and TV channel guides). Stealing batteries out of the remote control is just plain annoying, cheap, and a discourtesy to the next guest that uses the room and has to ask room service for new ones.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Mon 12 Aug 2013 07:29 GMT

Batteries from the remote? Never thought of that. You get some great tips on this forum!

Seriously though, some friends who run a B-and-B have taken to hard-wiring the hair-dryers after losing several, and I recently had to fix them up with a one-for-all remote as the remote for the TV in a guest room disappeared, in fact they're now replacing all the remotes with one-for-alls as some of the existing remotes are irreplaceable and have to be cloned from a working one.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby ruggie » Fri 6 Sep 2013 19:25 GMT

I agree with Dave. If I liked something that didn't look as though you were expected to take it away or bin it, I'd ask. As it happened, I'd just bought a silk kimono before I discovered the nice cotton one supplied in a Taiwan hotel - otherwise I'd have asked if I could buy it.

Since hotels purchase such things in bulk, they could be happy to sell one at a lower price than you'd find one in a local shop. Since it probably carries their logo, they should be happy to give it to you if its cost is trivial compared with the bill for your room.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 7 Sep 2013 05:35 GMT

I was wrong about the slippers - at least in the most recent hotel we've stayed in. They didn't appear to be any more durable than any of the other hotel slippers I've seen recently, but there was a card on the hanger of one of the dressing gowns, stating explicitly that dressing gowns, slippers and towels were provided for convenience for the duration of our stay and that if we wanted our own to take with us we could purchase them from the shop.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby BradClark » Tue 14 Jan 2014 07:46 GMT

One time use toothpaste, soap, shampoo, hair comb, toothbrush are open season for taking in my book. Same goes for the free bottled water (the mini bar is out of bounds), the free tea & coffee bags as well. I enjoy it when the next day they replace all these items like magic and you can repeat until it's time to leave the hotel. :)
Posted by:
BradClark

Return to Chinwags