It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 08:11 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Chinwags

Is lack of toilet paper an emergency?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Is lack of toilet paper an emergency?

Postby Kay » Sat 21 Sep 2013 13:11 GMT

Apparently a lack of toilet paper has led to panic buying and the government taking occupation of a toilet roll factory in Venezuela.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-24185342

It seems like an awful fuss about not very much. Loads of Asian countries wash with water rather than wiping with paper.

It just seems a funny thing for them to get their knickers in a twist about. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat 21 Sep 2013 16:37 GMT

I'm sure they have other shortages but this one makes the press. With the rise of internet popularity and the subsequent decline in newspapers that didn't help, can't wipe the butt with an ipad...or could you? :?
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 21 Sep 2013 17:55 GMT

Hmm... I know they've been working on ultra-thin, flexible handheld devices in recent years, but I think they've got some way to go on absorbency. :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat 21 Sep 2013 22:29 GMT

Like that old toilet paper Izol (I think it was called) somewhat like the inside of a crisp packet, smeary and non absorbent :shock:
Maybe an investment in bidets would be worthwhile here? :roll:
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 22 Sep 2013 04:45 GMT

Izal. I love your description, Graeme.

My Granny had that in her loo. Horrible stuff. I think the idea was that it was more hygienic because it wasn't absorbent. People rarely washed their hands in those days.

The lavvy was outside, and didn't have electricity. If you went at night you had to take a torch (flashlight). :lol:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 22 Sep 2013 05:03 GMT

I think it was supposed to be impregnated with disinfectant too, wasn't it?

When I was a kid the family moved to RAF Coningsby. We arrived at our house in the married quarters to be greeted by a roll of non-absorbent toilet paper in each toilet, each sheet bearing the words "GOVERNMENT PROPERTY". I think it may have ended up being used as tracing paper.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 23 Sep 2013 19:11 GMT

There was a great bit on QI when they discussed an old book looking at the best animals to use as toilet paper - I think the winner was swan
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 23 Sep 2013 19:12 GMT

Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Thu 12 Jun 2014 14:31 GMT

Dave wrote:I think it was supposed to be impregnated with disinfectant too, wasn't it?

"Medicated with Izal Germicide"

My first spoken words but didn't really help socially. c.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 12 Jun 2014 14:33 GMT

I'm sure it will come in handy at some point in your life Chris :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Jun 2014 15:09 GMT

I had two alarming toilet-paper experiences in Kurdistan.

The first was when going through the household accounts. This just involved a brief overview of a list of itemised purchases to see what my housekeeper had been spending my money on. (This was a complete farce.)

Wanker... 12 dinar
I quizzed him on that one but he never gave me a satisfactory answer, although I did manage to figure it out some months later... but the 12 dinar wanker is another story.

10 tons of tuna
I'm sure I didn't each that much last month. Hmm.

Oh, I've digressed. This was supposed to be about toilet paper. Back to the household accounts:

12 packets of pepper
I quizzed him on that one too.
"12 packets of pepper?" I like pepper, but not that much. So I asked him, "How come you needed to buy 10 packets of pepper?"
"But, Mr Kay Sir", he replied. "It was toilet pepper and it was very necessary."
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Thu 12 Jun 2014 15:16 GMT

Ahh tissue! :shock:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Purley » Thu 12 Jun 2014 22:19 GMT

That toilet paper made a great musical instrument. Y. You tore off a sheet of paper and put it around a comb and blew through it. I think they made a fancier version called a Kazoo.

I searched on YouTube and sure enough you can find someone called Joe Penna playing William Tell Overture on the kazoo, which sounds exactly like that Izal toilet paper instrument.
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Return to Chinwags