It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 11:50 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Stranded Antarctic expedition - should they have gone?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Stranded Antarctic expedition - should they have gone?

Postby Dave » Sat 1 Mar 2014 07:56 GMT

I must admit I'd missed this story over Christmas/New Year:

The Guardian: Rescue from Antarctica

Unsurprisingly, the story attracted a lot of comments, and it's worth reading them too. The general sentiment seems to have been that these people had very little business being in Antarctica in the first place and that they wrecked a lot of serious scientific research by getting themselves rescued. (The Russian government seem to be shifting blame for the disruption onto the Australian authorities, perhaps to divert attention from the fact that it was a Russian captain of a Russian ship that sent out a distress call in the first place.)

I dunno. I'd love to be able to visit Antarctica, but it seems right to me that it should be off limits to tourists. It's too fragile an environment to go monkeying around with.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags