It is currently Tue 26 May 2020 21:32 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Dirty humans!

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Dirty humans!

Postby Kay » Sun 20 Apr 2014 09:18 GMT

Eeeew! Look at all the grotty things that humans do every day. :D

http://mashable.com/2014/04/18/humans-are-gross/

Oh well, we've all survived so far.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 20 Apr 2014 12:03 GMT

A lot of them sound worse than they are. For instance, 0.14g of faecal matter per swimming pool user - even if you assume that 200 people are using the pool, that's 28 grams, or an ounce. In a reasonably sized pool of 25m x 10m x 1.5m average depth, that's 375 cubic metres, or 375,000 litres. Works out as 0.07 milligrams per litre, which is tiny. And of course it's no problem at all for people who don't go swimming. :-)

Only 10% of the cells on our body are human -- the rest are bacteria

I'm not sure what they mean. Do they mean on the surface of the skin? - in which case, how deep do they measure?

Or are they talking about bacteria in the human body in total? If so, presumably human cells are generally much larger than the bacteria in the gut and on the surface of the skin, because I'm sure they must be talking about numbers of cells rather than mass - bacteria certainly don't make up 90% of the mass of the human body.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun 20 Apr 2014 15:58 GMT

There's no doubt that humans are gross and dirty things, but what are you going to do without them?
I think they have the bacteria on the body wrong, we shed skin cells constantly and a lot of bacteria fall off with them so the external integumentum is constantly changing which helps retard bacterial growth. As to the insides, I don't think we are 90% bacteria, even in the gut where we need a large amount of helpful bacteria to extract nutrients from food. Simple changes in the flora and fauna of the gut can do damage (IBS, Crohns, C. Difficile etc) so the gut bacteria are well regulated usually. I'm with Dave, no matter how much a scum bag you might be, you're probably not 90% bacteria. :D
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Sun 20 Apr 2014 16:36 GMT

And as for swimming in the sea, fish pee and poo in there. Ewww. :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Dave » Sun 20 Apr 2014 16:59 GMT

And human pee and poo, too, if the local authorities don't bother building the sewage outflow pipes very far out. :?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Sun 20 Apr 2014 23:46 GMT

That reminds me of learning to windsurf off the Somerset coast many years ago. I finally managed to stay on for 100 yards or so and realised I would need to turn if I didn't want to end up halfway to the USA. Having no idea how to I was preparing to simply fall off when I looked down and saw what was floating past. In the next few seconds I somehow instinctively learned to turn.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby ruggie » Sun 11 May 2014 20:04 GMT

Mucus, dead skin cells and dust aren't a problem. Whoever put that list together hasn't thought to compare it with what is in the atmospehere surrounding us (except to point out that part of it is human farts (at indoor or crowded outdoor levels, I'd say). And I agree, the bit about bacteria looks like nonsense.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Chinwags