It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 06:10 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

How posh are you?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

How posh are you?

Postby Kay » Sat 27 Sep 2014 08:21 GMT

Here's a fun quiz from The Guardian.

I scored 7 which was amazingly high, and even then it was mainly because I knew the name for various items of clothing.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -posh-quiz

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Sat 27 Sep 2014 11:15 GMT

Seventeen, YES 17.

Mostly by lying....but then isn't that what it's about? Knowing what's required whether you choose to live it or not.

I may not have been PORT OUT but, with a little effort, I can be STARBOARD HOME.

As if................ :mrgreen:
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sun 28 Sep 2014 16:39 GMT

Kay and I are evidently admirably suited to each other, as I also got seven. Like her, I scored mostly on the clothing.

I do know at least three people with names on the list of posh names, but one of them is Greek, and the others are more casual work acquaintances than close friends, so I ticked "yes" for "Do you know anyone?" and "no" for "Do you know at least three people?"

I take issue with their "The average score is seven", though. What average? The median's certainly seven, but the mode is five. Lies, damned lies, and... 8-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 28 Sep 2014 18:11 GMT

It's The Gruniad, what did you expect? :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Tue 30 Sep 2014 09:38 GMT

Six, and proud of it. But class is a funny thing in Britain today. The top is still fairly well defined, divided between new and old money, but the rest? Demographics tends to go by your adult status though many argue it's your background. I couldn't describe myself as working class and my parents wouldn't though they both came from working class backgrounds. Never has a penny been paid for education, though I suppose that changes next week when my daughter starts Physics at (my alma mater) Imperial.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue 30 Sep 2014 09:48 GMT

I know someone so posh she knows her position in line to the throne (in the high 4,000s I think). "Do you know your position in line to the throne?" would have made a good question (and automatically award full marks).
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Dave » Tue 30 Sep 2014 10:11 GMT

Yep, that would certainly be Game Over. :lol:

I think you're right - adult status seems to be the defining characteristic, although many of the people I know would identify strongly with their background. Both my parents' backgrounds were working-class, but I couldn't say the same by any means, thanks largely to my dad serving with the RAF for 25 years.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags