It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:01 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Abandoned mansions

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Abandoned mansions

Postby Kay » Sun 30 Nov 2014 15:18 GMT

Ideal projects for someone with bottomless pockets and keen on DIY?

Seriously, some of these might be good for self-sufficiency projects or some kind of social enterprise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30004491

What do you think about it?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun 30 Nov 2014 20:26 GMT

Amazing that they have been left like that, I would have thought the Winstanley hall was worth preserving but the others look like they should have been demolished. Sad to see such magnificent buildings going to ruin, but then I remember they were built off the backs of common working people who never got to experience the opulence or grandeur of the buildings. Guess I must be a democrat and a bit of an anti-imperialist...who knew. :)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 30 Nov 2014 20:50 GMT

I don't really know what happened, although it's obvious that these places cost a packet on the upkeep. Think of the repairs and maintenance. Plus the staff. Then the major world wars took the men away and provided new opportunities for women to get into the workforce. It was the end of an era.

These mansions were no longer viable in the changing society as it was at the time. It's a real shame, though, to see these buildings just left derelict because there are many good uses to which they could be put.

These days, who would want to live in a place like that? I wouldn't. We had a fancy house in Delhi and all the necessary servants drove me crazy. I'd rather have a smaller house and just tell Dave to get the hoover out once a week. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags