It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:54 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Al Qaeda trials

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

What do you think about the trial of two British suspected Al-Qaeda members?

A military tribunal and the death penalty are justified for these terrible crimes
20%
They have a right to a fair and open civilian trial - but should still face the death penalty
40%
Even if guilty, they shouldn't be executed - the death penalty is judicial murder
40%
Other comments
No votes

Total votes : 5

Al Qaeda trials

Postby Dave » Wed 9 Jul 2003 15:23 GMT

British Expat newsletter 9 July 2003 wrote:The risk of execution looms over the two suspected Al-Qaeda members held in the detention camp at Guantanamo Bay, the US's toehold on Cuba. There's already been a good deal of concern expressed - including by the UK government and MPs of all parties - that they're being put on secret trial by a military tribunal, without the right to choose their own legal representation. It's even been suggested that they face the choice of pleading guilty and getting 20 years, or risking being found guilty and facing execution.

What do you think? Perhaps you think that if they're guilty, they should face the ultimate consequence of their murderous actions. Or maybe you, too, feel concern that two possibly innocent people face death on the basis of a trial of questionable legal status.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Thu 10 Jul 2003 08:02 GMT

IMHO they were fighting, for the Taliban, against not only the US, but also against members of their own country's armed forces.

By all means bring them back to the UK to be tried, but, unfortunately, they can no longer be tried & hung for treason, which, at the end of the day, is what they ARE guilty of.

2 choices.

1. Bring them back here, try them in a civil court (at great expense to the taxpayer) go through years of legal arguing etc etc, whilst they live their quiet little lives in the relative lap of luxury thumbing their noses at us all. And, even if found guilty, will be out in, let's face it, 2 - 5 years to then live off us all again claiming every benefit under the sun.

2. Let the US try them for what they are - terrorists - being British doesn't mean they are not the same as any other terrorist, and I am sure they didn't think "Oh look, that is a Uk soldier, we won't shoot him" - if found guilty, which let's face it, it is almost certain they are - why else were they in Afghanistan with rifles etc etc, then by all means they should be hung/gassed/ whatever.

Sorry if this sounds extreme, but they would have no qualms about shootingblowing up you or me, our children or Great Aunt Agatha.....................

squiffy
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Rich » Thu 10 Jul 2003 11:49 GMT

why else were they in Afghanistan with rifles etc etc, then by all means they should be hung/gassed/ whatever.

I know i'm well out of touch, but i was under the impression they weren't in Afgh. at all? I thought they were picked up and shipped out for having 'suspected links' or some such?

What is the actual story here? Don't want to comment on something i've seen very little about.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Squiffy » Thu 10 Jul 2003 12:14 GMT

Rich wrote:
why else were they in Afghanistan with rifles etc etc, then by all means they should be hung/gassed/ whatever.

I know i'm well out of touch, but i was under the impression they weren't in Afgh. at all? I thought they were picked up and shipped out for having 'suspected links' or some such?

What is the actual story here? Don't want to comment on something i've seen very little about.

They were picked up IN Afgahnistan with other Taliban fighters........
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Thu 10 Jul 2003 18:51 GMT

Daft, I call it. When the Brits sank the General Belgrano in a pre-emptive attack, there were recriminations, but in the end people tended to agree that in a war, we can sometiems accept that getting it over quickly is what matters. If these two had been shot on sight, the fuss would have died down quickly. Now.......

I'm a child of the sixties, and would certainly have dodged the Vietnam draft if I'd been a US citizen. But if anyone makes a decision to fight a war, they have to do it properly and stop when it's over. Better not to start, becaue the last bit is the msot difficult.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Chinwags