It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:40 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Sued for not going to a party!

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Sued for not going to a party!

Postby Kay » Mon 19 Jan 2015 10:06 GMT

At first glance this does seem a bit OTT. I mean how many of us would try to sue a five year old for not going to a party?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-30876360

But there again, in some ways I applaud the mother for what is, after all, a stand against bad manners. If people accept an invitation, then they are catered for and that includes the resultant costs. Sure, suing a five year old is a bit daft, but I take her point. There's been many times when we've bought food and been out of pocket for someone who has accepted an invitation and then simply failed to turn up.

Also, there have been occasions when we've sent expensive gifts (not to strangers!) and the recipient didn't even bother to acknowledge it, yet alone say thank you. Never again!

OK, so the invoice is taking things a bit too far, but simple manners and consideration for others under the circumstances is a point worth making. I guess most people hate to be taken for granted. What do you think about this?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Sued for not going to a party!

Postby Graeme » Mon 19 Jan 2015 15:03 GMT

Good luck getting a 5 year old to do something they don't want to do without some form of coercion, but suing them?
Crazy pants.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags