It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:17 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

WW2 POW camps in Britain

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

WW2 POW camps in Britain

Postby Kay » Mon 16 Mar 2015 07:56 GMT

Here's an article about the old POW camps, several of which still survive. It's interesting to read about the level of interaction with the local communities. Certainly in my part of the world, the prisoners were allowed out to dances and other social events. Several Italians, for example, married local girls and stayed on after the war.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-30398060

And one time whilst travelling in Italy, my friend and I stopped to fill up at a petrol station. The attendant asked if we were English. We replied, "No, Scottish", and he came round the car and hugged me. "I was a prisoner of war in your country", he said. That kinda surprised me as I didn't know then about how well they'd generally been treated.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: WW2 POW camps in Britain

Postby Dave » Wed 18 Mar 2015 06:37 GMT

A far cry from Colditz and Stalag Luft III!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Wed 18 Mar 2015 19:34 GMT

I visited Featherstone Castle near Haltwhistle in Northumbria (I think) and was shown the gardens which had been tended by the Italian prisoners of war, it was suggested that those prisoners had no intention of escaping or leaving until the war was well and truly over.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 18 Mar 2015 21:40 GMT

Yes, I can imagine that for many the type of labouring jobs they were given were far preferable to the horrors of war.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags