It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:15 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

The world's favourite colour?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

The world's favourite colour?

Postby Dave » Sat 16 May 2015 04:58 GMT

Opinion pollsters YouGov have published the results of an international survey which suggests that the world's favourite colour is... blue.

I'm surprised at that. Since red is a lucky colour in the Chinese tradition and elsewhere in East and South East Asia, and given the large population of that area, I'd sort of assumed it would come out on top. But in China and Thailand it didn't even make second place. (In Thailand it's the Premiership teams which play in red that get the most support: Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool. Chelsea and Man City barely register.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Re: The world's favourite colour?

Postby stroppy knickers » Fri 22 May 2015 07:05 GMT

I like to be different, obviously :) My fave colour is purple (or if you're my grandson it's purkle) in the aubergine range but I also like beige because now I'm over 50 I have to. It's the law. *fetches crochet hook and starts making doilies*
thunder thighs and bingo wings are todays speciality - get yours now! call 0800make-mine-a-large-one.
Posted by:
stroppy knickers
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 23 May 2015 06:14 GMT

Ha ha! :lol:

I turned 50 this month. Does that mean I now have to stop liking green? Should I petition Birmingham City to change their nickname from "Blues" to "Beiges"? And does anyone know where I can order a bulk supply of Werther's Originals?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 23 May 2015 06:22 GMT

I like purple as well, and I recently bought a pair of very bright turquoise blue trousers. Maybe you are supposed wear beige in your 50s, but not me. Anyway, I'm closer to 60 than 50 so it's nearly time for "When I'm an old woman I shall wear purple". :D

http://www.wheniamanoldwoman.com/pages/348544/index.htm
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sun 24 May 2015 07:07 GMT

Well now, I've just turned 65 and like bright colours, always have and I guess always will. Blue, of course, but also green and red. I've just bought some turquoise shorts so I'm with you there Kay! :D
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby stroppy knickers » Fri 29 May 2015 07:28 GMT

Take it nobody is quite ready for a beige cable-knit cardigan then ? :D I do actually own an item of beige clothing, it's a vest top and I can only wear it when I'm tanned or people think I'm running around nekkid which is a very scary prospect if you're the viewer! I made the mistake of wearing it early one summer and was going to pick up a friend from the airport. There were 2 women sitting on the bench as I hot-footed it across to the terminal who did the most amazing synchronised rubber neck that still leaves me chuckling when I think about it.
Ah, the things that bring me joy!
thunder thighs and bingo wings are todays speciality - get yours now! call 0800make-mine-a-large-one.
Posted by:
stroppy knickers
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 29 May 2015 09:32 GMT

Get trousers or, better still, leggings to match, Stroppy. You must!

Hey! Why don't we do a fashion show, you, DavidH, and me, and we can strut our stuff and be the fashion gurus who tell people what they should wear.

It could be great!

Dave Dee can do the catering.

Mark can provide the security with the doggies.

Graeme can do the physio if anyone over-does things.

We'll put Ray in charge of the Guinness.

There's a role for everyone!

(Sorry if I missed you out, but you're free to suggest what part you'd play in this hypothetical event.) :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 30 May 2015 06:53 GMT

I'll do the overall management.

Get a wardrobe, stick some overalls in it, and park me on a chair in front of it. Job done. :-)
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 10 Jun 2015 07:27 GMT

Sadly, I non longer have the psychedelic striped 1960s Carnaby Street shirt I used to wear every weekend for a decade. (Mostly red, orange and green wavy stripes with one or two thin black edges). I must be one of the few people who did not find green a restful colour (I suspect that was because it represented vegetation inland, a long way from the sea). These days I still avoid it, except for the dark, muddy tones.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 10 Jun 2015 09:10 GMT

what is blue in one language isnt necessarily the same in another :-)

many languages do not distinguish between blue and green (for example, Japanese)

colours have a scientic definition (based on wavelength), but languages generally predate that, so how was the question actually asked ? was it with a colour wheel, or based on words ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Thu 11 Jun 2015 13:56 GMT

Kay wrote:Get trousers or, better still, leggings to match, Stroppy. You must!

Hey! Why don't we do a fashion show, you, DavidH, and me, and we can strut our stuff and be the fashion gurus who tell people what they should wear.

It could be great!

Dave Dee can do the catering.

Mark can provide the security with the doggies.

Graeme can do the physio if anyone over-does things.

We'll put Ray in charge of the Guinness.

There's a role for everyone!

(Sorry if I missed you out, but you're free to suggest what part you'd play in this hypothetical event.) :D

Big mistake putting Ray in charge of Guinness, there certainly would be none for anyone else!

:drink: :drink: :drink:
Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby Dave » Thu 11 Jun 2015 14:03 GMT

Excellent point, Mark. :-) Thai has different words for light blue and dark blue, Irish has at least two words for green, and the Ancient Greeks used to describe a blue sky as "bronze" because they had no word for blue...
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags