It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 05:34 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Holiday ideas?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Where do you go on holiday?

I usually go back to the UK.
13%
I have a favourite place/country where I nearly always go.
25%
I like to try new things as often as possible.
50%
I explore the country where I live.
No votes
Other. (Why not post and tell us about it?)
13%

Total votes : 8

Holiday ideas?

Postby Kay » Mon 5 May 2003 10:41 GMT

Hi Hajo

We're taking the whole of June off and fancied doing something a bit different instead of always heading off to Thailand at every opportunity - although we'll probably spend at least part of the time there. Any ideas?

Vietnam (I did a bit of backpacking there in the early 1990s) was a possibility but now Sars seems to rule that out.

We were also thinking of going to Kathmandu (I've there been before too) then Bangkok. And we had an interest in the "Toy Train" up to Darjeeling. Maybe we'll go Delhi - Calcutta (either air or train) - Darjeeling by train - back to Cal if nec', and then on to Kathmandu, and Bangkok.

Have you, or anyone else, got any better ideas?

Cheers

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Hajo » Mon 5 May 2003 12:31 GMT

Some interesting ideas there, Kay. Kathmandu is also on my list, but since it requires a lot of trekking at high altitudes to see some of the better places, I have postponed Nepal until I have stopped smoking, started jogging and cycling again and thereby rebuilt some youthful fitness. In other words, indefinitely.

If I lived where you do, I would come up with the following travel wishlist for Central and Southern Asia:

1st Choice

- buy a cheap second-hand four wheel drive (e.g. Lada Niva)

Route:
- Islamabad
- Northwestern Kashmir (the rather peaceful part)
- Karakorum Pass (Hindukush / Chinese-Pakistani border)
- Kashgar (Xinjiang region, China)
- Osh (most important market on the ancient silkroad, Chinese-Kyrgyz border)
- as you like, onwards to Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan) or Almaty (Kazakhstan)

- sell or dispose of Lada in Almaty or Bishkek
- return flight from ALA or FRU (probably has to be via Moscow)

Duration:
10-14 days, depending on how much driving you want to do per day

2nd Choice

All around Kashmir
(once that's safe again, then again, when did I ever give a damn about official travel warnings)

3rd Choice

All around Burma
(despite boycot recommendations by human rights groups)

Probably not the kind of ideas you were looking for. Depends on how adventurous you are, how much time you have, and where the FCO allows Dave to travel.

Hajo 8)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Hajo
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 24 May 2003 18:47 GMT

Hajo

Thanks for this - and sorry I didn't notice your answer before. Your suggestions sound, erm, interesting - but too much like hard work. Also, I really don't like road journeys. Mind you, I have been to some of these places before - Islamabad, Karakorum.

We've now decided to do the Darjeeling toy train over a long weekend some other time. June's not a good season to go because of the rain. So it looks like it's Thailand again but with a few days in Kathmandu as well.

If you ever do any of the journeys you suggested, don't forget to send us a travel report!

Kay 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Sun 25 May 2003 06:34 GMT

All of the above :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sun 25 May 2003 06:43 GMT

Seriously, I'd love to do the Darjeeling train trip. Pity you don't like driving - otherwise I'd recommend what we just did, and will continue to do for a few years yet. Hire a 4x4 and explore South Africa, staying in B&B's with character (there are two or three excellent guide books). The 4x4 has two advantages:

- you can see better than from a car, so driving is more relaxing
- SA has a lot of good dirt roads. You can drive them in a Mercedes 300, but if you want to drive a tank, why not a real one?
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Chinwags