It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 04:51 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Your user name

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Your user name

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jul 2003 13:08 GMT

There are a few other intriguing pseudonyms aroung the BE forum, too. Why HesitationKills, for instance?

The above is copied from a thread on the Rug board, so I thought I'd ask the question here:

Is there an interesting story behind how you chose your user name? Mine's obvious, it's just my name. But for those with pseudonyms - care to share how you chose it? Just for fun, of course.

:D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Mon 21 Jul 2003 13:13 GMT

Here it's just my used name (although obviously i'm actually a Richard). however in places where I can't be Rich, i tend to go by Gelli or Moronic Aardvark, plus occassional others.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jul 2003 13:30 GMT

Bizarre names, Rich. Gonna tell us how you came up with them? :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Mon 21 Jul 2003 13:48 GMT

Squiffy by name and Squiffy by nature................... :twisted:

Actually my monika stems from my first Net days way back in the days of text only browsers, 9600 baud modems.....................

I happened to mention to an American on one of the first joke mail-lists - "Giggles" that I had come back from my friends "a little squiffy" and from then on everyone on the list referred to me as Squiffy. Squiffmeister is just an extention of this, when people wanted to be more "formal" (don't ask me why :lol:

squiffs
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Rich » Mon 21 Jul 2003 14:15 GMT

Bizarre names, Rich. Gonna tell us how you came up with them?

Urm.... No?!
Gelli is actually where i'm from. I needed an online name years back and could'nt think of anything else, and it's sort of stuck. Moronic Aardvark i think i'm just going to have to leave you in suspense over, for now at any rate.

of text only browsers, 9600 baud modems

What are they, or is it something only you old folk would know about? :twisted:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby justajester » Mon 21 Jul 2003 14:24 GMT

Mine is my name, like yours Kay. I DID want to change it to something more interesting after i had been here for a while, but found i couldn't...is there an option to change my username? :?
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Mon 21 Jul 2003 14:43 GMT

9600 baud modems (actually 1200 baud, encoded to transmit 9600 bits/sec, if you want to be pedantic) and text-only browsers. That's what your company provided when they set you up as a teleworker so that you could be enticed into doing system support at night and weekends witho0ut getting paid more than the finance director.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Dave » Mon 21 Jul 2003 16:38 GMT

nora wrote:Mine is my name, like yours Kay. I DID want to change it to something more interesting after i had been here for a while, but found i couldn't...is there an option to change my username? :?

Unfortunately there's no way of doing it yourself. But if you're very very nice then a friendly site admin could do it for you :wink:

DrDaveHPP
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Mon 21 Jul 2003 18:38 GMT

My main hobby is building and customising electric guitars. When, after 30+ years of playing I decided to get my first electric guitar, I chose the Fender Stratocaster, aka a Strat (if it's good enough for Hank Marvin, it's good enough for me...). But the off-the-peg models didn't quite have everything as I wanted so I wrote off to Fender Musical Instruments' Custom Shop for a quote on building one to my specs. When it came back at $3500 I decided to have a go at building it myself. The end result was my own personal Custom Strat which I then took as my online "handle."
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Purley » Mon 21 Jul 2003 22:57 GMT

I think I explained mine somewhere else on the board. But I will repeat here - although its not very interesting Liz is my first name - Williams is my last name - hence lizwil - the 98 came from the year I registered with Yahoo.
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby justajester » Fri 25 Jul 2003 16:21 GMT

DrDaveHPP wrote:
nora wrote:Mine is my name, like yours Kay. I DID want to change it to something more interesting after i had been here for a while, but found i couldn't...is there an option to change my username? :?

Unfortunately there's no way of doing it yourself. But if you're very very nice then a friendly site admin could do it for you :wink:

DrDaveHPP
And just how nice would i have to be, Dave? I can't send brownies over to you, and my coffee-making leaves much to be desired. If i promise to laugh at all your jokes, and only say nice things about you...wait a minute...oh well, never mind. :wink:
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Tim » Tue 5 Aug 2003 00:00 GMT

My handle naturally has nothing to do with my real name, but stands for 'tipsy in Malta'. I wanted to be drunk in Malta (like everybody else who lives here) but couldn't spell it. Also thought about 'pissed in Malta, me shipmates', but frankly that's just too damn yuppy for a beer-swilling landlubber like me!

Tim
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue 5 Aug 2003 00:09 GMT

Mike.

I mean, how sexy is that?

I didn't choose it (tho' obviously it is my name.)

The scary woman with the whip did it for me.

She has so much to answer for.

Edward the Gralloched
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue 5 Aug 2003 00:13 GMT

Mike wrote:

Edward the Gralloched

Guts oot for the lads!
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Tim » Tue 5 Aug 2003 00:30 GMT

Mike,

Worry not!

She's not all that scary, it's just mind over matter. She tries to make you think she's omnipotent but frankly she can hardly crack that darn whip so don't let it get to you.

And especialy not to the heroic Grallochs.

Tim
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Return to Chinwags